rear drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear drums

I am confused. I have a '55 champion and I was intending to replace all the brake shoes and cylinders, front and rear. Fronts no problem. With the rears I had heard all of the warnings about making sure I had the correct puller so I made sure I had it.

I pulled the rear tires off and looked at the drums and said, to myself, "hmmm, these don't seem to be the 'puller' kind." I grabbed hold and the drum came right off. I replaced the cylinder, shoes and replaced the drum and wheel. Went to the other side. Same thing.

What gives? Did someone bless me with a flange axle replacement before I bought the car?

Without pictures... I can only assume so. If your axles were tapered, and the drums came off that easily, you were in danger of imminent catastrophe.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My guess is the drums were not swagged to the hub studs or you have a late flanged rear axle.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Could be the drums weren't swedged to the studs? Generally not a problem.

Could also be a late Lark flanged axle. They are the same width as your car and a bolt in (AFAIK).

Post a picture.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

What Dick said. And unless they fit sloppily when you put them back on, they should do OK. I'd use a torque wrench when you tighten the lug nuts, since they'll be holding the drum in place as well as the wheel.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rob, I found the same thing when I first took the wheels off my car. A PO had cut the swages on all 4 corners; my drums come off without pullers of any kind. I'm betting that's what you've got, as well.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Just look at the end of the axle, if it is flat it is a flanged axle, if it has a castellated nut,washer and cotter pin, it's a standard tapered axle with an improperly assembled Hub/Drum.

quote:Originally posted by robtc

What gives? Did someone bless me with a flange axle replacement before I bought the car?
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X