PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod

KevinSheen
07-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Its been a long time since I've posted on here. I have a 63 Champ P/u. 8E7, long wheel base, P2 bed, 289 cu under the hood. A bit over two years ago a tow truck pulled me out of mud and put the hook on my tie rod rather than the frame I-beam. A friend straightened it out reasonably well. A week later a tie rod end failed at 60 mph and I wrecked. 2 1/2 yrs later I have collected many of the parts needed to totally rebuild the steering gear.
I was recently on the phone with the parts guru at Stude Int'l asking about a tie rod. The photo on pg 193 of their catalogue shows a blowup of the front end but the tie rod has no part #, price etc... Jim told me there were two different types of tie rod and the deciding factor is whether the frame I-beam has a forged or stamped #.
My problem is , I am 1500 miles away from my truck. My question is, would the forged or stamped number corrospond with the serial number? For instance, two different pittman arms were made. The earlier one was for trucks with serial numbers before 19000 (about) Would this be the same deal with forged or stamped numbers on the I-beam? Thanks for the help.

1963 Champ

Roscomacaw
07-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Kevin,

Good to hear from you again. I looked up that pitman arm AND the axles in the parts books and while it does call out 8E7-19245 as the break point, there's oddly enough no such serial breakpoint listed for the front axles. It only notes that one has the cast numbers and the other has the numbers on a plate that's riveted to the axle's face. There's nothing regarding what serial number vehicles got which.:(

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

KevinSheen
07-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks for checking this out for me Mr. B! I was hoping you would answer. I hope all is well with you and yours. Next month I'm planning on getting the Stoogebaker up north. I found a guy who only works on old trucks. He's never done a Stude but is keen to try. Maybe next spring I can give Bams50 a run for his money. Thanks again. Kevin

1963 Champ

studebakerkid
07-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Kevin

I have the complete front axle and steering box out of a 63 that I parted out just sitting out back. Just missing the brakes as I put the self energizing brakes on my 61.

Email me at hartcreek@bentonrea.com if you still need parts.

Please put Studebaker in the subject line.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
55 Commander Wagon
54 Champion Wagon
46 Gibson Model A
50 JD MC

bams50
07-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Hey Kevin! Glad to see you're still kickin'!

Sorry about your wreck:( How bad was your truck hurt? And how about you?? Hope you're doing better now[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

KevinSheen
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Hello Bob! Yeah, I'm still kicking. Currently driving a 845 FT ship around the Great Lakes. Living just outside swinging downtown Westernville[8D]. I found a guy named Tom Ballard who has a shop called "Hack and Slash Fabrication. He's on NY46 just north of W'ville at Frenchmans Corners.
The wreck wasn't pretty. About a week before the wreck, I did a favor for my neighbor (in LA). I got stuck in the mud in his backyard. The towtruck idiot put his hook on my tie rod instead of the frame I-beam. After driving to the dump thinking that my front wheels were barely touching the ground, the truck was still steering as if the front tires were barely touching the ground. I went to a friend's shop and he put some heat to the tie rod and got it straightened out pretty good.
Apparently the damage had already been done. About a week later my right tie rod end failed and I went off the road to the right. At the time I didn't put two and two together as I was tring to get a cel phone out of its case at the same time. I thought I ran off the road on my own. After some thought though, I figure it was probably mechanical failure not operator error. I wound up with a small scar on my forehead where I broke the steering wheel[B)] Good thing it was only my head as its not a vital organ[:p]
Long story short, I'm since divorced and moved north. I'm getting off the ship next month, headed south to visit my stepson and bring the Stoogebaker home.
Anyway, I hope all is well with you and yours on the Island. I'd like to come up and get the 50 cent tour sometime. Hows that Lark wagon that came during the blizzard two years ago?

1963 Champ

KevinSheen
07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Studebakerkid, I'll shoot you an e-mail. Thanks. Kevin

1963 Champ

bams50
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by KevinSheen

Hows that Lark wagon that came during the blizzard two years ago?

Still here and running like a top, although currently for sale. It's been joined by a dozen or so others[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"