Dealership Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealership Decals

Does anybody have a pattern or a picture of what a freeman-spicer (or their predecessor) dealership decal looked like?

Thanks
    Kent

Back then they probably had a pot metal emblem.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

These are from the family dealership. The pot metal was used for many years before switching to the decals.

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Tom Karkewicz (sp?.), the from South Bend vendor in the white school bus who is a fixture at many swap meets, was selling reproductions of the decals a few years ago. Someone had both Freeman-Spicer and Newman-Altman stickers reproduced, and he was selling them. I understand original panels or parts with intact original stickers were taken to the printers for scanning.

I bought the Newman-Altman decals. They were done on the correct reflective tape, and look authentic:

Kevin Wolford
        Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
        60 Lark VI Conv.
        63 Avanti R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 556063

Tom Karkewicz (sp?.), the from South Bend vendor in the white school bus who is a fixture at many swap meets, was selling reproductions of the decals a few years ago. Someone had both Freeman-Spicer and Newman-Altman stickers reproduced, and he was selling them. I understand original panels or parts with intact original stickers were taken to the printers for scanning.

I bought the Newman-Altman decals. They were done on the correct reflective tape, and look authentic:

Kevin Wolford
          Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
          60 Lark VI Conv.
          63 Avanti R1
          Thanks Kevin. When I get my 55 sedan done soon, I want to give it the little 'things' that would of been on the car when it was being used.

Did N-A actually sell stude in 55 or were they only packard yet at that point?

Comment

I'm not sure exactly when N & A started. I have one of the stickers on my '55. They could have at least sold it used, I guess? Someone else probably knows for sure what they were doing in 1955.

I went for the N & A stickers, because Freeman-Spicer continued on selling Cadillac-Olds & Chrysler-Plymouth into the 1970's. Their stickers were a common sight when I was a kid, and there really isn't anything that made them Stude specific to me.

Kevin Wolford
            Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
            60 Lark VI Conv.
            63 Avanti R1

Comment

Not Freeman & Spicer, but this is the original dealer sticker on the back of my old 65 Cruiser:

Mark Anderson
              Member SDC and FMCA
              Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
              Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

I'm not sure exactly when N & A started. I have one of the stickers on my '55. They could have at least sold it used, I guess? Someone else probably knows for sure what they were doing in 1955.

I went for the N & A stickers, because Freeman-Spicer continued on selling Cadillac-Olds & Chrysler-Plymouth into the 1970's. Their stickers were a common sight when I was a kid, and there really isn't anything that made them Stude specific to me.

Kevin Wolford
                Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                60 Lark VI Conv.
                63 Avanti R1
                Somehow this thread shoulda ended up on the main page but I guess my brain was somewhere else when I posted it.

Perhaps somebody else can confirm or disprove this, but I was told that Newman-Altman got into the studebaker business by being the packard dealer in South Bend, and when S-P was formed and packard discontinued, they became South Bend 2nd Studebaker dealer?

Comment

I believe you are correct that Newman Altman came on board via the Packard merger, but I can't confirm any details.

The predecessor to Freeman-Spicer was Schuman-Schauss(sp?), and they were considered the factory store and constructed the former building that housed the museum up until the current building was erected and occupied. Freeman-Spicer was the successor company to Schuman-Schauss (sp.), and I can't give you a timeline on that chain of events either.

I can tell you Freeman-Spicer still maintains an office on Eddy street in South Bend and is still in the leasing and insurance business to this day. I don't know if any of their business activities today are automotive related.

Kevin Wolford
                  Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                  60 Lark VI Conv.
                  63 Avanti R1

Comment

Here is one that looks to be neither pot metal nor a decal. It also combines advertising with an inspirational message!!

Frank Remlinger
                    SDC# A004602R
                    Frank Remlinger
                    Detroit, Michigan
                    SDC# A004602R

Comment

My white Hawk had one from Girard Motors in Ohio.

I remember seeing it when I first looked at the car. The PO "cleaned up" the car before I bought it and left me with a scratched aluminum trunk panel instead. Wasn't that thoughtful of him?

Good thing I got him to come down $500 on his price.
                      Maybe a reprint will cover the scratches.

Andy
                      62 GT
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

<snip> I can tell you Freeman-Spicer still maintains an office on Eddy street in South Bend and is still in the leasing and insurance business to this day. I don't know if any of their business activities today are automotive related.
                        I sold a HUMMER (H1) to one of their local business owner clients a few years ago and received payment in the form of a check with the "Freeman-Spicer" name on it. So I guess in some way or another they are still in "Automotive" related activities.

<h4>The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

Does anybody have a pattern or a picture of what a freeman-spicer (or their predecessor) dealership decal looked like?

Thanks
                          Kent
                          Sorry Kent, I do not have a Freeman-Spicer decal, but I do have a key ring & tag from there.

<h4>The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

As soon as we got the car home, I'm sure that many of us removed those things and threw them away. I know I did. Had we ONLY known...

John

Comment

I am looking for a "HALL MOTOR CO.Glasgow Kentucky" in pot metal. Anyone?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                              X