Chrome sticker shock (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome sticker shock (again)

I just got the two small side grills done by Grave plating for my 64 GT Hawk. I recall selling a NOS set for $150 and figured I could plate them for close to that, but they were $447 a pair.! OK, they are way nicer then Studebaker ever did them, but wow.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Not only is the cost of chrome work becomming prohibitive, the number of places that do that work is dwindling.
    Look at any of the '50s cars, they're dripping with chrome. Anyone considering restoration of any of these cars should think long & hard about doing the job.
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Does that mean that you now have to begin the tedious job of painting the black stripes now, after all that expense, they still are not done, right?

Not to mention having to cover up $223.50 worth of new Chrome! [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

Not only is the cost of chrome work becomming prohibitive, the number of places that do that work is dwindling.
        Look at any of the '50s cars, they're dripping with chrome. Anyone considering restoration of any of these cars should think long & hard about doing the job.
        Rog
        Might be a good thing as it will drive up the prices for Scotsman models! [}]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

A half hour with the correct masking tape and I can do the black.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I talked to a guy here in south-central Illinois about a month ago.
            He used to have a business the sold rechromed rear truck bumpers.
            He told me he had to get out because he could not afford to comply
            with EPA regulations.
            He said that good chrome will keep getting higher and that it won't
            be long and there won't be anybody in the USA that will still be
            doing it.
            Has anyone heard similar stories?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I just got the two small side grills done by Grave plating for my 64 GT Hawk. I recall selling a NOS set for $150 and figured I could plate them for close to that, but they were $447 a pair.! OK, they are way nicer then Studebaker ever did them, but wow.

JDP/Maryland
              Thomas Jefferson

Jerry Forrester
              Douglasville, Georgia
              Be sure to check out my eBay store
              http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
              for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

My theory is, chrome will never go out of style. Regulations are just regulations- just takes time and money to follow. And there will always be people willing to pay whatever it takes to get chrome work done.

What has hurt the industry is the fact that everyday cars don't use chrome anymore. Locally we have a chrome shop that's been here about 50 years, Sandy's Bumper Mart. The owner, Sandor Bozo (real name), was a real old-school guy- gruff, grumpy, and 100% personality free to most people. He'd much rather be in the back with his apron on, doing the work, than talking to customers. I used to go there as a kid with my Dad, who knew him well; he and Dad were good friends. He had racks with hundreds of bumpers- repaired, replated, and ready to go, or he'd do whatever you brought in. In those days it was a good business because of volume, and the fact that everyday cars didn't need show chrome.

Today, there is basically no commercial work. Almost everything that comes in is for some kind of show item. So it follows that most of the items are going to need the more involved (and expensive) process. Add in hypercritical customers (right or wrong), and it's a tough racket...

Lack of volume, lack of easier and more profitable commercial work, and tougher to please customer base- I think that's what hurts the most.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I had the right side grill surround for my 61 Hawk done here in Montana for $500 guaranteed to be mirror finish plus the belt molding for another $650. Ouch. I still have my bumpers to do this winter.

Wayen K.
                  Libby, MT
                  61 Hawk (On the road, FINALLY)

Comment

As I keep commenting: I'm sure glad Stude liked stainless steel so much. Can you imagine what it would cost to do a '58 Olds or Buick or Caddy nowdays???[xx(]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Wayen, are they attaching the clips on the bottom of your belt moulding? I had to pay a simular price for my belt moulding, mine were very pitted.I had another chrome shop do my other set and they grinded it so thin it broke in shipping. Those side grills are pot metal and they are tough to do.
                      quote:Originally posted by farmhawk

I had the right side grill surround for my 61 Hawk done here in Montana for $500 guaranteed to be mirror finish plus the belt molding for another $650. Ouch. I still have my bumpers to do this winter.

Wayen K.
                      Libby, MT
                      Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

JDP, there is another chrome shop in Baltimore. This guy use to be in annappolis nere you, His specialty was boats. He was right off that exit after riva road. where all the shopping centers were,up the street from the silver diner, he was a nice guy and his work was good. He told me he has a pot metal repair man that is very good. I can't wait to use him.
                        quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                        Thomas Jefferson
                        Studebakers forever!
                        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Pass that phone number on when you get it, please. [^]

Comment

No, the clips were not reattached before plating, so I need to figure out a way to attach them.

Wayen K.
                            Libby, MT

Comment

My best buddy from when we were kids had his dad give him his old shriners harley parade bike, he pulled off all the chrome and got some bids and found it may be better to not put it back on. So after he went throught the thing and made it like new an old Marine Cpt. from southern California recomended he would take it across the border to old mexico they have less rules about EPA than US.
                              Any of the members here from down san diego way should know where to send it. Thats my .02

1955 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X