Windsheilds/rear windows stainless/rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windsheilds/rear windows stainless/rubber

About another full day of final preparation, (masking the rear leaf springs with duct tape) and finishing taking guages etc. off the dash board (it is laying on my workbench now with everything intact) and I will be ready to take the "50" Champion frame and body-what is left to be done, to the sandblaster. It really looks weird with nothing on either side of the firewall!! Also, the stripped body is so light, I can just pick one end or side up and move it around as needed. I put 3 inch wooden blocks at various points along the frame with long bolts in stragecic places for transporting the two parts on a trailer to the sandblaster near Bedford, Indiana. He will lift the body off and roll the frame to a different location for doing it. Having the blocks to allow easy access to getting the body off should make it easier for him. He works by the hour so, If I can save him some time, I have earned some money.
    MY QUESTION IS:
    What is the best way to remove the rubber and stainless trim around the two piece windsheild and the two piece rear windows. The stainless appears to be stuck onto the rubber?

Jimmie

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

The SS trim has a continuous tab that is embedded into a slot in the weatherstrip. Age and possibly cement has caused a bond between the SS and rubber. That said, use a sharp building knife and cut the weatherstrip away.

Comment

So, that is the reason for being asked which one when ordering I guess.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by Retired

The SS trim has a continuous tab that is embedded into a slot in the weatherstrip. Age and possibly cement has caused a bond between the SS and rubber. That said, use a sharp building knife and cut the weatherstrip away.
      1950 2 timer
      Orleans, Indiana
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

If installing the stainless in a two-piece molding on the '50 is anything like installing it in the later bent windshield, get the molding that does not take the stainless trim; unless you're a glutton for punishment.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
        X