auto transmission in 51 studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto transmission in 51 studebaker

This probably sounds like a simple question but I was wondering where to check the fluid level on the transmission. Also what fluid to use in it. Thanks

The dipstick should be under a cover on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel.

Use Dexron fluid.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

My 55 has the inspection port on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel. The transmissions from 51 on, maybe to 56 were all Detroit Gear, might all have the same inspection ports.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction) 363 hrs.
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks, I found the plate before I asked but have always had vehicles with dipsticks. Thanks again.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverbullet

This probably sounds like a simple question but I was wondering where to check the fluid level on the transmission. Also what fluid to use in it. Thanks
          Remember to check it fully warmed up and in Drive.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I don't know how long it continued to be recommended, but the first DG trannies in 1950 called for 10W motor oil as the transmission fluid.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:the first DG trannies in 1950 called for 10W motor oil as the transmission fluid.
              Automatic transmissions were still fairly new and transmission specific fluids had not yet been developed. As you indicated, 1950 was the first year for the automatic in the Studebaker. Modern Dexron is a far superior and longer lasting lubricant for the purpose, though the 10W would still work in a pinch in the old trannies.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Do you need to drain the 10w out before adding the dextron? Thanks

Comment

Wouldn't necessarily need to. Chances are it's already been supplanted at some point.

It is a good idea and, I believe, recommended maintenance to drain all fluid and clean or replace the filter screen every 50,000. If you don't know when it was last done, what's the harm in doing it now?

One nice thing about the DG200 torque converter is it has its own drain plug. What an archaic idea!

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would not chance it. Drain the 10W out, even the convertor. The ATF has friction modifiers in it to work with the clutches and bands. The motor oil does not. It's not good to mix. Not long after that tranny was out in the publics use, IIRC, dealers were notified to change the oil to Type A ATF. Type A has been upgraded through the years. Now Dexron is reccomended. Again, IIRC, that tranny oil level is checked at normal operating temp. and gear selector in Low. Make sure the emergency brake is applied and wheel(s) are chocked. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

The Studebaker Automatic Drive manual says to check the fluid fully warmed up and with the transmission in L. It stresses to not overfill. It also tells you to check the fluid every 1000 miles and drain and refill every 15,000 miles. For a new car in normal use, that was about one year. On Studebakers with the DG transmission, I always changed the AT fluid every year. Fluid is a lot cheaper than transmissions. For a COMPLETE change, start with five quarts, start the engine (AT in L) and add three quarts. When fully warmed up, add fluid to bring up to Full mark (do not overfill).

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If I drain the torque converter will it just refill when I fill the tranny and start it? I was always taught to fill the torque converter when I installed it and the fill and start the vehicle. Never had a drain on the convereter before. Thanks

Comment

I'm experiencing what appears to be a major Transmission leak, but cannot find source. Is it possible I overfilled it? I tried to drain everything, but who knows? I put in 4 or 5 qts before starting then 6 or 5 quarts after it had run a while. Now, it has lost somewhere over a pint in my 'catch pan,' never mind whats on the road. (six miles)

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
                          Tom Bredehoft
                          '53 Commander Coupe
                          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                          (Under Construction) 366 hrs.
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverbullet

If I drain the torque converter will it just refill when I fill the tranny and start it? I was always taught to fill the torque converter when I installed it and the fill and start the vehicle. Never had a drain on the convereter before. Thanks
                            Yes, it will refill itself. That is why, in the procedure, I stated to put some of the fluid in the transmission and then start the car. This fluid then starts to fill the torque converter.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I'm experiencing what appears to be a major Transmission leak, but cannot find source. Is it possible I overfilled it? I tried to drain everything, but who knows? I put in 4 or 5 qts before starting then 6 or 5 quarts after it had run a while. Now, it has lost somewhere over a pint in my 'catch pan,' never mind whats on the road. (six miles)

Tom Bredehoft

You put way too much fluid in. Five plus three quarts should bring it to near the full mark.
                              The way that I read your post, you put in nine to 11 quarts. This is too much. Drain it down until it as at the full mark with the transmission warm and in Low. Studebaker emphasized not overfilling these transmissions.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X