what heat,ac, and defrost system for a 51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what heat,ac, and defrost system for a 51

My 51 starlight coupe project is nearing the point of putting in the heat,ac and defrost system in. The dash has been extended down by 4 inches to allow more room. Any input as to what to put in would be appreciated.

I believe the only one available is Vintage Air, and it requires modification to both the kit and the car to install, not a bolt-in.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Vintage Air is the only one that makes a compressor adapter for the Stude V8. Their products are first class and they stand behind them. Classic Air also makes a good unit but you would have to build your own compressor mount. Search the forum for mount plans if you go that way. I don't know anything about Hot Rod Air but I've never heard anything bad about them amd they also make universal kits.

The one to stay from is Rod Parts Warehouse--he advertises the cheapest units but it took me 3 months and threats of a lawsuit to get all of the parts for a unit I ordered from him. He also called my wife a dumb b**** over the phone when she argued with him. I don't think he is dishonest, just dumb.

Hope this helps
      Jeff

Comment

You can easily adapt the generator bracket to hold a Sanden Compressor and fabricate a bracket to run the alternator from it.
        That's what I did in my '53.
        Details are available from Ray-Lin's Tech pages on the North Carolina Chapter web site. Ray is on this Forum as Studeman.
        Here's his page on A/C:
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
        X