Avanti Steering Gear Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Steering Gear Housing

Is it possible to replace the gasket, part #1557623, on the housing with the housing in place?

This is the gasket between the Cover assembly, housing side and the housing.

First, it will depend on the space available between the box and the fender apron. The tolerances on Avanti body dimensions are poor. Some of the early Avantis (and maybe most of them) had aprons that were incorrectly positioned on the firewall, resulting in the aprons leaning in at the bottom and often bowed in to boot,(I had to break the bond and reposition mine -R1236). Correctly positioned there probably is enough room to remove the cover and repace the gasket. However, if your car has power steering and the pressure and return hoses are routed forward and up around the front of the steering box to the apron between the box and the apron, these will have to be moved out of the way. This will require disconnecting the wiring at the regulator and solenoid. As well the starter cable would have to be moved out of the way. I have never done it this way, so let us know how it works out if you attempt it.

Comment

Working...
    X