Champ truck identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ truck identity

This champ truck was in south Ga at one time. Some one changed out the trans to an automatic and put a Ford PS set up in it. Can some one identify the trans? Anyone know who did the conversion?
    I just changed out the 4:09 gears to 3:31 set. Truck was screaming at 45 mph.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Looks like a Ford FMX (vacuum modulator rather than rod type). I know of a 64 GT with the same tranny. Works wonderful low gear start. In this truck, someone fabricated the bell housing mounts (similar to the OEM Stude mount) and used the Ford rear extension housing mount also. What kind of shift indicater, or shifter mechanisim is used? Looks ok from what I can see.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

That looks like a very well done conversion to a Ford Trans. it appears they fabricated their own rear engine mount brackets and backed them up with a Trans. mount as well!

The Truck Trans. did use a vacuum modulator, but with a no filler Oil Pan and a different tail housing. This could be a late model Thunderbird FMX alright.

This would have been a fun truck, it would be hard not to break the tires loose with a low gear start, and a 4.09 rear! [^] You ruined it, spoiled all the fun, LOL!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't see any add-on power steering linkage in the photos. Do you mean it has a Ford power steering box?

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

I don't see any add-on power steering linkage in the photos. Do you mean it has a Ford power steering box?

Dwain G.
          YES!
          It does wonder over the road somewhat.
          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Just up-loaded some more pics of the champ truck. I took it for a test drive after changing over the rear gears from 4:09 to 3:31, man, what a difference. The truck runs very well without screaming at 50 and seems to have more than enough power. I think this is an excellent combo.
            Ford FMX tranny. Stude Engine # 3EIOII8 (259) with edelbrock carb.
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Working...
            X