PDA

View Full Version : 169 champ 6

studelover
07-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I was at a friends house yesterday and he had told me he had a 1941 studebaker champion coupe, well we uncovered it it's the second time he has had the tarp off since he got it. I could not believe how complete his car was, by me having a 1941 champion sedan I could tell him so much about his car. he told me that he was going to street rod the car and would be throwing the motor trans and rear away. I kindly asked for it and he said sure. I know Mr. Cathcart is the best with these small champ 6 motors and has alot of speed equipment for them. If I put a split manifold and dual carbs on that motor I think my sedan would be alot better for todays driving.I wonder if his rear would be better than mine or would I be able to have hydulic lifters installed in that motor, anyone have a hop p champ 6 out there?[8D]

Studebakers forever!

52-fan
07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
As far as hydraulic lifters in a Champion engine you are out of luck, but the solid lifter versions are really no problem. The rear end in your car is probably the same as the one in the coupe unless one of the cars did not have overdrive. The overdrive car would have a lower gear for getting the car moving easier from a stop and the overdrive will let the car cruise easier on the highway.
Bill Cathcart is certainly the expert on Champion engines and can steer you in the right direction as to modifications.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg
1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
"I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

studelover
07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I was taking a shot in the dark. The solid lifter's are fine with me as I have them in my Plymouth and my Studebakers. I was wondering if anyone had the speed version of Mr. Cathcarts flat head 6,split manifold dual carb, I know he is very good however I would like to hear from someone that has one and drives it often. I would settle for a regular rebuild from him. I just want to add to my driving experince:DI know my motor is on it's last leg being the original motor and me pushing it( drove 120 miles today at 60 miles an hour) I know I can't keep doing that. So I am making arrangements to have my friends motor rebuilt.

Studebakers forever!

52-fan
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
What makes you think the engine is on it's last legs? Is it knocking or smoking badly? Unless you are driving it too fast (do you have overdrive?) it should be fine. A Champion engine can handle 60 mph without any trouble. My 52 would run 70 all day in overdrive. This is assuming fresh oil, good cooling, and the like.

raprice
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why someone would take a perfectly good '41 Stude and rod it.
The '41s are really nice cars and fairly rare.
I can understand it if the car was in bad shape with many parts missing.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

studelover
07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
This car is kinda stripped, he would be bring it back to life. It just has a complete motor and trans.

Studebakers forever!

studelover
07-25-2008, 04:55 PM
It doesen't smoke or anything like that, it's the original motor. I think maybe it's time for a rebuild.Oh it does not have overdrive. I cruz at 60 miles an hour and it actually runs better the hotter or longer you drive it. After a 100 mile drive I noticed the motor made no noise and run steady[:p]however when it's cold it runs ok

[/quote]

Studebakers forever!