T5 to 6cyl adapter and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 to 6cyl adapter and other questions

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows who makes an adapter to mount a T5 behind a 56 6cyl? I was wondering what would be the true advantages by doing this swap. Would your highway speeds be greatly increased? Or due to the design of the 6cyl, would there be any great benifits doing this?

Orlando FLA
    Orlando FLA

Bill Cathcart is the guy with the adapter.
    cathcartsstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cathcartsstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

If the '56 already has an overdrive transmission, I doubt you'd see any increase in highway speed at all. If you were replacing a straight 3-speed or an automatic, then you'd be able to cruise at higher speeds without over-revving the engine.

Where you'd really notice the difference would be in city traffic. With an extra gear between first and direct drive, the RPM drop between gears would be less, and you could accelerate faster, and also keep the engine closer to its torque peak at whatever urban speed you wished to drive at.

When you have an engine that is not a torque monster, and is actually under-sized for the weight of the car it hauls, extra gears UNDER 1:1 are a real bonus. That's why nearly all imports used 4 or 5 speed transmissions.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
      X