Gutter gunk - factory installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter gunk - factory installed?

"Gutter gunk"[?] What the...'hey' is that??

Well, my '59 Hawk has some kind of gunk partially filling the rain gutters (troughs), around the roof-line. Can someone tell me if Studebaker, factory-installed some kind of epoxy-like putty or sealant in these gutters? The stuff obviously was placed in soft and hardened with chemical reaction or application of heat. Why was anything even needed in the troughs, or was it? It appears that factory paint covered this stuff, just like the seam-filler in the trunk. Maybe its the same stuff? It's hard and brittle, similar to old window glazing, and I've cleaned it out, only to find a nice layer of rust in the bottom of the trough. Blasting time again [V] as rust remover, emery cloth and other sandpapers will not clean it all out. Fortunately, there is no rotted or soft metal, just what I would call "soft pitting".

In summary, what do I replace this with, or do I? Any information on this is appreciated. (Can never remember seeing that stuff as a kid on my dad's cars of the 50's and 60's)

Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Just use ordinary seam sealer, todays' product stays soft, not like the '60's stuff.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Those are all sheetmetal seams and will leak badly if not properly sealed. Check for the same stuff in the seam between the windshield panel and the roof. I used 3M Flexiclear #08405.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Champion51

"Gutter gunk"[?] What the...'hey' is that?? <snip>
        Any information on this is appreciated. Dave D.
        Dave, if you really, really want to know what materials Studebakers used to seal & silence various areas around your C-body roof, order a copy of drawing 1314975; Sheets 1, 5, 43 and 45 from the SNM Archives.

Good luck!!!

<h4>The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

Working...
        X