PDA

View Full Version : 58PH Overheating

55s
07-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Darn. Changed the rad at $500 and it still heats up as measured by my heat gun and the temp gauge.

Engine was properly rebuilt 15 years ago, no previous record of overheating. Started this year. Very quick to overheat. Not thermostat. Seems to be especially hot around the passenger exhaust manifold. Its like the muffler was plugged.

Any quick ideas?

Paul R

41 Frank
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Check for a stuck heat riser.

N8N
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd guess plugged muffler myself. does the vacuum fall off faster than usual when you get on the gas?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

studegary
07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Something may have nested in your exhaust system or some internal part rusted during a period of dormancy for the car.

Cooling issues with Packard Hawks usually relate to getting enough air through the radiator. Has the fan been changed? Is the belt in excellent condition and adjusted properly? Has anythig been added to block air flow into or out of the engine compartment?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

55s
07-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Darn:

You were ALL right. These were checked before I decided to do the rad, about six months ago. It has since been on and off my hoist a few times, and sure enough, the exhaust pipe is now flattened, and the heat riser was semi-stuck. Both are right within sight of each other.

A little lube, and the heat riser is back. Sure hope Don Simmons is going to the CrossRoads Zone meet for the exhaust pipe. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to go in Bert. (55 Green Commander Regal Coupe.)

Thank you.

Paul R.