Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser Disc Brakes

[?]
    I am replacing my Cruiser's front disc brakes with new calibers and pads, but I am not sure how to set the tolerances given in the shop manual. Th book says to set to .002 -.008 from pad to rotor and from side to side, and to use different size shims to achieve this. Has anyone had experience setting the gap for these pads?

Paul Accorsini
    Accorsini

Maybe you need to restate your question because it seems like you have answered your own question. You add or subtract shims (they look like real thin washers) to achieve the specified clearances.The shop manual explains how to do this.

Dale

Comment

It really is not so critical as too how MUCH clearance within reason, as long as you have a slight amount.

What they are really trying to say is you add and subtract those round washer like shims to the front and rear mounting bolts between the spindle and the "L" shaped mounting bracket to adjust for true front to rear and Most Importantly, to center the Caliper saddle on the rotor you add and subtract shims both front and rear which moves it in and out. [^]

So you are squaring and centering both pads to the rotor.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe the correct interpretation is that the 4 gaps between the rotor surface and caliper saddle inner surface should be within .002-.008" of each other to establish a common plane between the rotor and pads and pad wear accomodation. It takes a while to shift shims around to accomplish that but it must be done correctly. Tighten up the caliper bolts and take the 4 measurements with the feeler gauge. Then calculate and shift shims to balance the measurement and tighten the bolts again and remeasure. It may take several attempts to get it right. The first time always take longer, but then you will see the wisdom in retaining the shim packs in their original positions on any subsequent service.

Comment

Working...
        X