transmission change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission change

My T86E-1E tranny has had it so i was hopeing that the T86E-1A i have would work in its place? Dose anyone know if i can just put it in and drive? I have a 62'Lark with the 259 V8. Thanks for any info you got. well i guess i can just try it and see. Stanley47

Same transmission and O/D unit I believe, but different tailshafts. However, I am not technically "up" to know whether you could steal the need parts from one to make the other work or not.

StudeRich (& other folks) is (are) usually pretty good at this sort of thing...?

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23-25, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Stanley, check the input shaft to see that it's the same and check the output shaft to see that it matches. If they do, it ought to work fine.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Borg-Warner numbers you gave are usually transmission case casting numbers. They don't always indicate enough detail to determine the OEM application. Here's some general info and approximate change dates to look for:

1. Are you sure it is a Studebaker T86? Are the bolt patterns to the bell housing the same? Stude used two different ones, approx pre and post-'58. Yours should be the long rectangle, not the square one.
        2. Are the input shafts the same length and diameter?
        3. Is the tailshaft length the same? I think most pre-'58 cars and all T86 trucks use the short tailshaft. Yours and most post-'57 cars have a long tailshaft.
        4. Is the output yoke the same? Most pre-'58 cars and all trucks used a bolt-on yoke. Yours and most post-'57 cars used a slip yoke.
        5. Have you checked your potential replacement to determine if it is good-to-go? More than once an orphan transmission is sitting in the corner because it has a problem.
        6. Where are you located? I have a good used '64 T86 from a 259" Daytona.

Bottom line, if everything looks the same between the two, then the swap will most likely work. I'd double-check to see if the solenoid is 6v. or 12v. Take nothing for granted on Studes. These parts have migrated around from where they were first installed, just as the trans swap you are considering.

Thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the info
          quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Same transmission and O/D unit I believe, but different tailshafts. However, I am not technically "up" to know whether you could steal the need parts from one to make the other work or not.

StudeRich (& other folks) is (are) usually pretty good at this sort of thing...?

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23-25, 2009?
          </h5>

Comment

Thanks for all the info i will check this out friday. The T86 came out of a 55' studey pickup i still have the v8 motor it was with. if this one dose not work maybe we can work something out with the one you have. I am in Lockwood CA 93932. Thanks again. Stan
            quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

The Borg-Warner numbers you gave are usually transmission case casting numbers. They don't always indicate enough detail to determine the OEM application. Here's some general info and approximate change dates to look for:

1. Are you sure it is a Studebaker T86? Are the bolt patterns to the bell housing the same? Stude used two different ones, approx pre and post-'58. Yours should be the long rectangle, not the square one.
            2. Are the input shafts the same length and diameter?
            3. Is the tailshaft length the same? I think most pre-'58 cars and all T86 trucks use the short tailshaft. Yours and most post-'57 cars have a long tailshaft.
            4. Is the output yoke the same? Most pre-'58 cars and all trucks used a bolt-on yoke. Yours and most post-'57 cars used a slip yoke.
            5. Have you checked your potential replacement to determine if it is good-to-go? More than once an orphan transmission is sitting in the corner because it has a problem.
            6. Where are you located? I have a good used '64 T86 from a 259" Daytona.

Bottom line, if everything looks the same between the two, then the swap will most likely work. I'd double-check to see if the solenoid is 6v. or 12v. Take nothing for granted on Studes. These parts have migrated around from where they were first installed, just as the trans swap you are considering.

Thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

The tranny out of a pickup will have straight-cut gears in it, and different ratios for first and second gear. If the entire transmission will bolt in to replace your existing one, you could use it. but your shift points won't be the same, and it will be noisier in lower gears.

You cannot mix and match any of the gear-set parts between the two.

If the truck OD tranny is a good one, I'd recommend that you sell it or swap it for a good car tranny. The truck OD trannys are in demand by the truck guys, while Lark-style OD transmissions are fairly easy to come by.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a lot of studebaker parts mostly for M5's. I looked today in my bone pile and found another T86e-1A with OD in Good shape. I have a lot of Overdrive stuff. I will see if someone wants to trade or if I can buy one for the lark. Thakns again Stan
                quote:Originally posted by gordr

The tranny out of a pickup will have straight-cut gears in it, and different ratios for first and second gear. If the entire transmission will bolt in to replace your existing one, you could use it. but your shift points won't be the same, and it will be noisier in lower gears.

You cannot mix and match any of the gear-set parts between the two.

If the truck OD tranny is a good one, I'd recommend that you sell it or swap it for a good car tranny. The truck OD trannys are in demand by the truck guys, while Lark-style OD transmissions are fairly easy to come by.

Comment

Working...
                X