Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Dash replacement

www.kgworks.ca/studeparts

It's been 25 years since I last installed one, and something doesn't seem right with your description. Best call the vendor and ask for their procedure. Meanwhile, I have a used one on the shelf that I took off back then, so I'll get it down and have a look to refresh my memory. I don't think you want to "bend" any lip, as it surely will crack in time. Definitely the upper section is just glued to the foundation and I think it goes on first. More later.

Comment

Sorry for the scare. You are doing it right - clips first, then studs at glove box and then glue. The factory used a fair splat of contact cement across the area behind the studs. The foam should end at the top horizontal edge of the foundation next to the window weatherseal. There should be a vertical fin of vinyl projecting downward with no foam on it. This is contact cemented to the underside of the foundation edge. If the vinyl fin has not been creased to conform to the underside edge, then it would be a good idea to warm it up a bit with a heat gun as you bend it. It will have to be V-cut relieved at the various corners. If your cover has foam attached to this fin, I suspect you will have to remove it,(the foam on the fin), before you can bend it under the foundation. However, I would call the vendor and ask first. You have a lot of money tied up in that cover!

Comment

www.kgworks.ca/studeparts

Comment

You might also want to post this on the AOAI board and on the Yahoo Avanti Group. In addition, past issues of Avanti magazine have at least three articles detailing removal and replacing dashes.

MikeV
          Pompano Beach, FL
          83 Avanti 377I

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeValent

You might also want to post this on the AOAI board and on the Yahoo Avanti Group. In addition, past issues of Avanti magazine have at least three articles detailing removal and replacing dashes.
            The most recent being issue #118, available as a back order.
            I know, I asked the same question a couple of weeks back both here and on the AOAI site.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

How thick is the foam that lays on the top of the foundation along the rear edge. I should be approx. 3/4" thick or more (an estimate without actually measuring it). The back surface of that section should drop vertically against that 3/4" section of foam before terminating in a fin that is bent under and glued to the foundation. This section should be formed to go around the defrost vents. I can't believe that you would have to form that in bending the lip down as the vinyl would have to be cut. It sounds to me that you have been sold a half finished dash cover. That back surface edge should be thermally formed in the thermoforming process. It's possible that you simply cut the horizontal fin to conform to the vents and window weatherseal, but that wouldn't look very good and certainly would show. I would also be concerned that the contact cement at the rear of the foundation would let go and allow the top to bulge. As an aside, I've installed 3 vinyl coverings on the twin humps behind the rear seat, without a problem. On the 4th (my own car) using the same brand adhesive and technique 2 years ago, the adhesive let go between the humps, so it is almost humpless after some summer heat. I blame the adhesive as having probably been re-formulated for cost or environmental reasons. There is no way of fixing it without undoing a lot of the fresh interior. That's my complaint for the day! Good luck and don't do anything until you are confident of good results.

Comment

Working...
              X