Stude spotted on Pinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude spotted on Pinks

there was a 53/54 Coupe funny car on Pinks All Outtakes tonight (filmed at Bristol Dragstrip). It was red and on for about 2 seconds.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

George,

What you saw was probably the Scotty Cannon ProMod '53 Studebaker. PINKS All-Out uses different forms of drag racing to fluff up their program and to bring more people out to see the filming of PINKS. They have used exhibition runs by IHRA Pro Mod cars (such as the clip you saw with the Studebaker), nostalgia funny cars, wheelie contests, and jet dragsters as various events around the USA.

Here are some photos I shot of the '53 at the IHRA Northern Nationals at US 131 in 2005. In 2006, the ProMod field switched to modern body styles (Cobalt/Mustang/Holden GTO) but it lost crowd appeal as the ProMod cars looked like the jelly bean car ProStock field. So for 2007, the IHRA mandated that the ProMod cars can only use 1974 and EARLIER body styles!! I was pleased with that as the ProMod cars are the reason I go to the IHRA events. Plus the fact that the IHRA is more "fan friendly" as you can go right up to all the cars/drivers/pit crews and just poke around the cars and ask questions without having a roped off area and security people keeping you back as in the NHRA.

But I digress (as usual) so here are the pictures;

This ain't no 1953 Studebaker 232 V8!!!

Frank Remlinger
    SDC# A004602R
    Frank Remlinger
    Detroit, Michigan
    SDC# A004602R

Comment

That certainly looks like the car I saw. As I said, it was only on screen for about 2 seconds and in the far lane. I was pretty sure "funny car" was the wrong class, but I know virtually nothing about the drag racing classes. I know the car looked to be a 53/54 Coupe and had a huge wing like pictured above. During the PINKS All-Outtakes show, they stated they move about 400 cars through in a single day - that seems to be a pretty fast flow!

--george

Comment

I saw that episode of PINKS All Out Takes and that was the Studebaker you are talking about-less all the graphics and sponsor decals. The ProMods run about 2 seconds slower than the Funny Cars. The ProMods ~only~ run in the 6 second range at 200+ mph.
        Here are some of the body styles used by the ProMod teams-
        (Looking at this list will give you an idea why this is a popular class with the fans. These sure beat all the "jelly bean" bodies of current models!!):

1953 Studebaker
        1941 Willys
        1953 Corvette
        1963 Corvette
        1968 Firebird
        1955 BelAir
        1957 BelAir
        1962 Impala
        1969 Camaro
        1965 Mustang
        1969 Charger Daytona
        1970 Olds 442
        [^][^][^][^]

Frank Remlinger
        SDC# A004602R
        Frank Remlinger
        Detroit, Michigan
        SDC# A004602R

Comment

He has got some seriour money in that car.

Comment

Working...
          X