50 Champion Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champion Gas Tank

All: I am new to this site and to the world of Studebaker restoration but as a father/son project, have jumped into the deep end with a 50 Champion 4 door. I have been reading many posts and will try to research before asking too many questions. I do have a couple of beginners though. First, where can I find a replacement gas tank for the champion? Second, any leads for replacement interior materials & rubber mat would be appreciated.

Paul
    50 Champion 4 door

For your interior pieces check with JDP here on the forum for value or Phantom Auto Works for show stuff.Either are good quality (From all I have seen and heard).I had a local upholsterer look at mine and he quoted me about the same money as JDP for a near factory match and suggested that since he was familiar with our cars buy JDP's stuff and let him(local guy)install it.Said it would probably turn out better than what he could make up.Good Luck with your car and hope you enjoy it for many years,Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I also have a 1950 4-door. I've had mine for a year now, but fortunately my gas tank is good. There are several salvage yards that specialize in Studebakers. A gas tank from "any" 1947-52 Champion 4-door sedan should fit your car (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
      There is an excellent article on this website called : "Things to do after you bought that Studebaker" (link below). Its good reading. Also, you might as well get a shop manual right away. Reproductions are available from several vendors.
      Another tip to get you started:
      Be aware that the passenger side wheel lug nuts are left-handed[:0]
      Good luck and be sure to take advantage of the expertise available on this forum.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

They used several different gas tanks through the 47-52 body style due to things like a rear frame redesign, change in the spare tire from being mounted flat on the floor to being mounted upright in it's own well in the floor (thus intruding into the gas tank space), etc., etc.

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X