PDA

View Full Version : Swapping in a 289 crank

54-61-62
07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Is it possible to put a 289 crank from a partial-flow engine into a 64 full-flow block? I know the bearing journal diamaters are the same, but I recall hearing that there is something different with the way the oil passages are drilled in a full flow crank. Thoughts?

N8N
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I think that there are differences in the nose of the crank. Do you have two complete engines? I think if you use everything connected to the front of the crank from the 289 engine it should all work out OK.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Mike Van Veghten
07-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Swap away.
Since a crank shaft spins within the block...the oil feed holes will become intimate at one point or another.
Most all cranks these days..including most all cranks back in the day had/have basically the same oil feed hole pattern. A slight (coupla degrees) clocking difference will not change anything in the way the oiling system works.
Many, have mixed and matched cranks and block without harm.
Actually...if you look at the two cranks, you'll notice that throw offsets dictate where the oil hole will be placed. Overall, crank strength is the key to the design of a crank shaft.

What N8N mentions will be something to watch for...but that may just require a spacer if the long crank goes into the block or short damper parts should be used in the short snout crank.

Mike

JDP
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Just don't forget to swap the pistons to 289's.:)

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson