Who is J. Reardon? My Avanti was "tagged" for him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is J. Reardon? My Avanti was "tagged" for him

This may be a long shot, but...the production order for my Avanti, R4399, says "Tag for J. Reardon." It also says "Ship to Chicago." Jon Myer told me that these "Tag for" lines on the production orders often referred to a company official or a celebrity, to whom the car was being given or sold. Does anyone have any idea as to who "J. Reardon" might be, maybe in the Chicago area, in the mid-1963 timeframe? A Studebaker company official? A celebrity? Anyone else out there have one of these "Tag for" lines on your production order and have you found out what it means for your car? Thanks for any leads or ideas.

Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe, 3-speed w/OD
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R2, 4-speed (R4399)
    1972 Chevrolet El Camino SS454, 4-speed
    1999 Corvette roadster, 6-speed
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Pete, if you belong to the AOAI look up Hugh Edfors who is in Chicago and a longtime Avanti owner and former Board member. He may be able to tell you. if you are not an AOAI Member (shame on you) contact me outside of here and I will put you in touch with him and yes the web mail is working.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Wasn't Richard Reardon the infamous mayor of Chicago for years? Could be one of his family.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

He would have been an ex mayor, as the "Richard J. Daley Machine",
        was in power at that point and had been for years.

There was a Richard Rirodan, who was the mayor of the "City of Angeles"
        in more recent history.

Comment

I would think that Studebaker Wheel would know that and have a picture if there were to be a famous Studebaker owner in Illinois...or elsewhere for that matter.

Comment

The inventor or Reardon Metal (see Atlas Shrugged)? kidding...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

My bad on that! glen's right, it WAS Daley I had in mind, but the reardon - actually Riordan - name was what came up when I saw that build sheet note,[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

FWIW there's two Daley's. Daley Sr is what everyone here is thinking of, he who was part of the Daley Machine. Daley Jr has been mayor for, pbbbb, last 20 years, but still carries on the Daley Machine. He still has a name, command for loyalty, and reputation that carries with resonance here, but how shall I say it, in the shadow of his father. [}]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

A poor shadow at that.

Comment

The car was a "consigned car" (on 5-27-63) so perhaps Reardon was a Chicago area Studebaker sales rep? It was later retailed thru Smart Motors of Milwaukee on 4-21-64 to Arnold Nordeng of DeForest, Wisc.

Richard Quinn
                    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

There you go! Story isn't as good as the guesses were, though. Thanks for the facts once again, RQ.

Comment

Wow! Much thanks to everyone and especially for Richard Quinn's input. The owners manual in my car has "Smart Motors" (with its address) stamped on it. And the previous owner told me he bought it from a fellow in Wisconsin (but I didn't know who). So that certainly adds some pieces to the puzzle. It sure paid off to post to this forum!
                        Pete R
                        Woodbridge, VA
                        1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
                        1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

There are many folks on here who hold many pieces to many puzzles and are darn good at pulling them out to help people. I'm always amazed by their archives and knowledge. Searching a car's history is always a favorite here, Pete. Welcome.

Comment

Well Pete, now it sounds like you could fill in the missing blanks on your Owner's Manual! Pretty neat, I think! [^]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X