dumb thing to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb thing to do

Believe it or not, while working on my 61 Lark six cylinder..specificall the fuel pump, I managed to drop a bolt into the oil pan...Does anybody have any great ideas to fish it out short of removing the oil pan? Thanks.

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

Hi, David,

It most likely won't hurt a thing down there, IF it hit the bottom of the pan. Anything is possible and it theoretically could be tangled up in the rotating assembly.

Go down the same hole with a strong mechanics-magnet-on-a-stick. Hard to do, but I have occasionally gotten lucky and fished something out that way.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

It might flush out with the oil or at least run near the drain hole. have it front high, then try a flex magnet.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I have two essential tools I use, both usually available at the dollar store. One is a magnet on an antenna-like telescoping pen, and the other is a "grabber" - you push a button down at one end, and a claw opens up at the other end of a flexible shaft, like a speedometer cable. Both are extremely handy at removing dropped nuts and bolts.

I'd try going through the fuel pump hole first, since it should be lined up. THe bolt may be too big to go through the drain hole.

Paul

Comment

ThNks for the help. PS Thomas Jefferson never dropped a bolt in a 61

David G. Nittler
          David G. Nittler

Comment

PS I took the oil pan off.

David G. Nittler
            David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
            X