PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Gage Unit - Problem & Interchange

dpson
07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
The fuel gage in my 61 Cruiser wasn't working. I did a quick ground test and it was the tank unit. The parts book shows that all passenger car models from 1960 to 1964 used a tank unit with part number 1549575, however it also shows that 1959 (and some prior models) used 1544825. I was able to locate one of earlier units and in comparison with the one in my car the only difference was that the earlier units used a screw to attach the feed wire to the cover while the later units used a slip fitting. A quick snip of the end of the wire and attachment of a different electrical connector and the earlier unit worked just fine. So keep this in mind if you are looking for a replacement for your 1960 to 1964 tank unit.

P.S. I believe the reason the old unit stopped working was that the cork float had become saturated with gas. I understand they were coated with shelac, which is alcohol based, and with the new gasahol blends this was likely the problem. If true, what should be used to treat the cork floats to avoid this in the future?

Dan Peterson
Montpelier, VT
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
1961 Lark Crusier
1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible

bradnree
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Here's the fix from the tips area on this site which can be found at "Home".
BRAD

http://www.gudim.com/ReplacingCorkFloats.html