PDA

View Full Version : front end

studelover
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I have new front springs and bushings for the upper and lower control arms. I also found this pyrimind shaped rubber part just dangling inside of the spring I guess that is a bumper of some kind, I am also replacing the shocksquestion is there anything else I should be worried about when it comes to the front end. The sway bar bushings have also been replaced is there something I am overlooking?[8D]

Studebakers forever!

N8N
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
there are two bumpers, one on the lower control arm and one on the frame underneath the upper control arm. As long as your kingpins and outer bushings are in good shape you should be good to go. I would definitely soak the big kingpin thrust bearings in solvent to clean all the old, hard grease out of them while you have it apart, and you'll need to replace the seal at the bottom of the kingpin so you can force fresh grease into them. Current wisdom seems to be to use an O-ring (sorry, can't tell you exactly what size off the top of my head) but snip a short section out of it to allow a small amount of grease to pass through it to lube the lower kingpin bearing when greasing.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

studelover
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Nate, my front end is very tight, there is no play in the wheel up or down or back and forth. The fittings took grease well however once the car is on the road for a while as you know all of that can change, I think this car has been sitting here and there for about 30 years so I think I will have to wait and see.:)The good thing I noticed is the car had brake work done not to long ago as the lines are near new[:p]all the wheel cly unscrewed simple without incident. So I got alot to be happy about;)

Studebakers forever!