T-85/od identification and interchanges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-85/od identification and interchanges

I recently bought a T-85 core transmission/od for rebuilding at the local zone meet, and I am hoping you can help me identify it.

It is a short tailshaft version,
    on the case is cast T-85c-1a WG div
    The overdrive is cast R11-1g

I think it would have been out of a 56 or 57 hawk?

The tranny does not look so bad inside, other than needing a 1st/reverse slider gear, and possibly a countershaft.

What transmissions could provide these parts? Any t85 including ford/amc/etc?

Is there a good technical resource online for these interchanges?
    Thanks,
    Brian

54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

The T-85 is a Heavy Duty Trans. and the R-11 O.D. is a Heavy Duty Unit, different than the R-10 used on T-90, T-96, T-86. It was used in Ford/Mercury, but they would have to be very old, because by at LEAST 1957 they had the long tail T-85 (some gears would interchange). The only Studes. that used it, were '56-'57 Presidents, and Golden Hawks, you will need a Bellhousing from one of these (non-'56 GH) to install it, it has the square bolt pattern.

Unlike the truck version these have Helical cut gears, not straight cut.

The parts are very hard to find, your best bet is the Standard Trans. parts warehouses, this way they deal with the make of TRANS. and not the car and know their stuff! [^]

quote:Originally posted by 54stude

I recently bought a T-85 core transmission/od for rebuilding at the local zone meet, and I am hoping you can help me identify it./Cut/
    StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, Brian,

Rich gave you some good pointers. I'm on a roll rebuilding a bunch of these transmissions right now. Contact me off-list and we'll talk. I've found these transmissions to be bulletproof and rarely need any main parts replaced unless someone has let one sit with water in the case.

There are many different versions of the T85. Check yours and look for two key identifiers:

1. The '57GH version has spiral splines on the mainshaft and beveled gears on the low-reverse gears.
      2. The '57-64 T89 truck version, which is much more common, has straight splines on the mainshaft and straight-cut low-reverse gears.
      3. All the Stude T85 versions have a 7.5" long input shaft. The '56J Packard is 6.75" long and the Ford truck is 6.5" and Ford car is 6.125".

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack!

The gearbox has the spiral splines on the mainshaft, and beveled low and reverse gears, so I think I have a 57 golden hawk transmission. That will definately help me in my parts search when I am ready.

Regards,
        Brian

54 Champion coupe
        48 Champion Convert
        54 Champion coupe
        48 Champion Convert

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

<snip>
          3. All the Stude T85 versions have a 7.5" long input shaft. The '56J Packard is 6.75" long and the Ford truck is 6.5" and Ford car is 6.125".
          The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

When scouting for transmissions, most find it much easier to measure the external dimensions than the internals. Thus, I should have completely clarified, "on the assembled transmission, the input shaft length, as measured from the main case bellhousing mounting surface to the tip of the input shaft is . . . . ,"

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X