International Harvester Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Harvester Studebaker?

At a show today a fellow explained to me he had a rare '53 International Harvester Studebaker truck "from that time when IH and Studebaker were connected". I told him (honestly) that I hadn't heard about that. Usually these things have some basis in fact, but I can't imagine where this one originated. Anyone have a clue?

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

As far as I know and everything I have ever read about Studebaker trucks - there was never a collaboration between Studebaker and International to make a "hybrid". [:0] Maybe someone made an aftermarket vehicle and told him it was factory... [}][B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23-25, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

The only thing I know is that IH took the "Transtar" nameplate for their line of heavy haulers based on the A-Line cab after Studebaker quit building trucks.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid
        The only thing I know is that IH took the "Transtar" nameplate for their line of heavy haulers based on the A-Line cab after Studebaker quit building trucks.

Clark in San Diego
        True, but that was definitely after 1953.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23-25, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

And they also took the 1964-5 full wheel covers and removed the stamped Lazy-S in the center and used them on Travelalls, etc.

Craig

Comment

Heard stories about talks between Studebaker and IH. Both companies were "outsiders" to the Detroit power structure, each being headquartered a few hundred miles away in South Bend and Chicago. But the two never got real close as far as I know. International Harvester was a huge industrial conglomerate, with divisions in agriculture, construction equipment, trucks etc. But they didn't have a passenger car product line. Studebaker's primary business was passenger cars. If you think about it that way, you could see why they might talk. But I think all they did was talk.

Kevin Wolford
            Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
            60 Lark VI Conv.
            63 Avanti R1

Comment

"And they also took the 1964-5 full wheel covers and removed the stamped Lazy-S in the center and used them on Travelalls, etc."

Yes - that as well as removing the "rays" eventually and even the whole center of the de-rayed cove as well! (to let the locking hubs fit thru!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I can't see what Studebaker ever could have given IH other than (eventually) the Transtar model name. Heck, smaller IH trucks and SUVs STILL have a great reputation and at that, they simply walked away from producing them. So did Jeep.
                Think about the reputation Jeep had after WWII and still has today. You'd think with the badge of utility king that they've owned for half a century, they'd still be building "light" trucks.
                Maybe this should be on the Huggers porum, but here's a question for ya.... What'll become of the Jeep brand if Chrysler (actually, WHEN) buys the farm??? I'm betting it'll move to China or India.[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've seen a 60's vintage Binder PU with a Stude 259 V8 & auto transmission in it. And, there's a Champ PU at Turner's in Fresno CA with a IH stepside bed on it (it actually looks pretty good).

George
                  George

Comment

There may be a connection, but not direct.

Raymond Loewy did work for IH, even including designing their logo.
                    There were some proposals for some trucks for IH, don't know if they were adopted.

A friend has a 1948 IH truck, look like it has a Cadillac front end, a very nice design.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
                    Here are two links for some pictures and information.
                    Slide Show
                    Magazine Article
                    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Having just sold a '59 IH B-120 4x4 two weeks ago, the truck was far ahead of Studebaker in many ways. IH offered a variety of engine options with OHV construction (though it seems few were equipped with the 266 V-8) as well as suspended pedals, etc. Binders were known for being tough, I still have 2 later models in my "fleet".

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I've never heard the nickname "Binder" before... what's the story?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Short for "Corn Binder" coming from the Ag side of International Harvester.

55 Commander
                          58 Transtar
                          62 GT Hawk
                          66 Cruiser

Comment

[)]Apparently, Studebaker made a play toward buying Binder cabs before they finally settled on the Champ idea. IH products are referred to affectionately among afficianados as "Binders" due to the company actually being more well known at one time for building quality Combines and other "reaper" type ag vehicles. One little known tidbit is that IH actually did a good deal of casting work for several other mfgrs. And the reason that the AMC 401 V8 and the Chrysler 727 automatic transmission were offered in later IH offerings was that IH did all the casting work for those Chrysler/AMC/Jeep items. Chrysler paid IH off in engines and transmissions.[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Let's think about this. IH products known as "Corn Binderes" and '50 and '51 Stude products some times known as "two-row corn pickers". There may be a connection after all.

Don Wilson
                              53 Commander Hardtop
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton
                              Centralia, WA
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*