Factory Graphics / what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Graphics / what to do?

Going to be a while before I'm ready to do all the body work and paint it.
    The one thing that keeps coming to my mind is the Factory Graphics the Hood in particular. Anyone dealt with this? There's no way it's going to look right without saving the Graphic on the front of the hood. I've looked around and I have seen no other truck with this on the hood is mine rare?

Correct... Those graphics were limited to the '58 Scotsman pick-up I believe (in '59 I think there were different graphics used) and they only made ~980 3E1 Scotsman's, so I would say "Rare"!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23-25, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

serial number is E-1 981 maybe I have the last one ? With only 980 made it makes me wonder how many could still be out there after 50 years?
      "Maybe" on B.C. I will be taking in some local meets next month. I'm going to keep the Graphic's come H*// or high water. When I paint it, it'll be painted the original color.

Comment

Bob, Will you make it to the Zone meet in Oregon City next week?

I just double checked the Dec '95 & Jan '96 issues of TW which had the feature article on 3E Series Trucks. States there were [u]931 </u> Scotsmans made in 1958 starting serial # = E1-101; ending serial # = E1-1031, so you are close to the end.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

May 23-25, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

No on the oregon meet,Got to take care of other business. There's a antique truck meet in Shelton and someother one north of seattle next month I plan on going to.

Comment

Yup, everything happens at once! [xx(] The local ATHS chapter is having a meet in my hometown next weekend as well, but I've already commited to attend the Zone Meet in Oregon City.

I will look forward to seeing your Scotty at a function around the NW "somewhere", in the next while.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

May 23-25, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JunkYardDog

serial number is E-1 981 maybe I have the last one ? With only 980 made it makes me wonder how many could still be out there after 50 years?
              "Maybe" on B.C. I will be taking in some local meets next month. I'm going to keep the Graphic's come H*// or high water. When I paint it, it'll be painted the original color.
              Here is your double in Indiana with intact decals.

Craig

Comment

If you took a photo of each one, with the dimensions, I would think a sign shop could replicate them with no problem. You could have a few extra made to sell to recover some of your cost.[]

Comment

Yep I figure I'll be checking out the sign shops sometime near the end of the summer. I got mine running good and driveable now. So next is the body work

Comment

Hello everyone,

There is an easy way to replicate these graphics. Make your own decals. If you can photograph them head-on, and can save it as a bitmap image, you can then print it directly onto either clear or white film decal paper on an inkjet printer. I did this with a license plate topper from our Studebaker dealer in New Jersey. Take a look:

The original is on the bottom; the decal on new metal is on the top. I scanned the topper and then doctored up the missing parts of the lettering and eliminated the rust and other imperfections. I even modified it by adding color to the Studebaker ball logo. I printed it at the highest resolution on our HP PSC 2410 Photosmart printer which is nothing all that special. You will notice some imperfections in the decal under the word "station" and at the bottom of the ball logo. The is probably my own fault because I didn't spray enough fixative on the decal after printing it on white decal film. When I put the decal in water and transferred it to the new sheet metal, to colored foreground (the ink that the printer applied) cracked so the white film substrate showed through.

Clear decal film is also available, and I used it when I made the graphic for our serial number plate.

I would make the Scotsman dash decal on white decal film. By the way, the photo is an excellent head-on shot suitable for use. The hood nose decal I would also print on white film, but since it is angled in the center, I would take two photograps of it, one for each half head-on. Depending on the size of the original decal, you can either splice the two images together or make two half decals which, by the way will be much easier to apply.

Decal paper is available in 8-1/2 by 11 sheets from Micro-Mark (http://www.micromark.com/).

All of the image manipulation that I have done was with the simple Paint program that comes preloaded on just about all PCs. You don't need anything high end. Copy any graphic elements like the plaid from a good portion of the image and past it over the places where they aren't as good. While it takes some time, it isn't rocket science.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
                    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Great tips on decal production, Alan

They look super.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                      53 Starliner Hardtop
                      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Working...
                      X