six cyl valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• six cyl valves

Can anyone tell me if the valve lifter spring No. 526204 used on the comander six is the same one used on the champion six. Thanks

nope...

Champion six flathead: 514236
    V-8 (std.) and Champion six OHV: 533245
    56J: 6480807
    R1/R2: 188645 (I believe this was an old 30's part repurposed for the R-series engines because it met the required specs)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Len! If you have not joined yet there is a link at the top of the page to join at a discount!

The 188645 that Nate mentioned IS the COMMANDER Big "6" Valve Spring! [:0]

The "Valve Lifter Springs" on Champions (little anti-rattle spring on the lifter) 195616 it is NLA (no longer available) at the South Bend Warehouse (SASCO).

No, the Big "6" Spring, 526204 is not the same.

The springs Nate mentioned are really valve "closer" springs![:0]

You need what I have, the Shop Manual, Chassis & Body Parts Catalog on CD ROM Disc.! I and the other the Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com have these! Only took 5 min. to check the parts Cat. and verify no stock at SASCO!

Join and enjoy, glad to have you with us len!

quote:Originally posted by len

Can anyone tell me if the valve lifter spring No. 526204 used on the comander six is the same one used on the champion six. Thanks
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I thought the R-series valve spring was a straight 8 (President 8?) part? Or is my memory correct and they repurposed it *twice?* (I don't have a parts book that shows Commander engines, except for one truck book, and I didn't bother to look in there. I don't have any at all for a straight 8) I wasn't aware of a second spring, so I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for your input I was not clear enough on my original post
          I should have said lifter spring or like Stude Rich said anti-rattle
          spring I had never seen any thing like these before. Since they are no longer available are they really necessary. Len

Comment

Working...
          X