PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid?

Harv
10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Guys,

Got a '64 R1 PowerShift GT Hawk last year & have just now needed to add Trans Fluid. What type fluid to add? Pwr Steering the same?

Thanks for your help. [8D]

StudeBakerHarv

N8N
10-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Definitely Dexron for the PS; either Dexron or Type F for the transmixer depending on how firm you like your shifts. Don't use anything labeled "Type A" even though that's what the manual calls for; it's an obsolete designation and pretty much anything could be in the bottle.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Harv
10-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks Nate. I'll get some Dextron. Harv

StudeBakerHarv

Mike Van Veghten
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Harv -

You won't be able to find anything called "Dextron".
Like Nate says, the fluid is called "Dexron".

Mike

hank63
11-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Which fluid gives firmer shifts, dexron or type F?
/H

N8N
11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Dexron will give a fairly normal shift; Type F will make them firmer.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

kamzack
11-01-2006, 10:16 AM
The reason for type "F" is the original type clutch plates are metalized and work better with "F". It's a friction modifier and will give better shifts. When trans is rebuilt and clutch pack is repalced, you can use a common type ATF. The replacement clutch plates are a different compound and no metal. Borg-Warner trans. were used by Ford as well, so that's kinda why you'll hear that it's a Ford spec. B-W developed the transmissions for Studebaker and when sales and production slowed,B-W started selling em to Ford. The B-W trans is a tough one. Studebaker was using a complicated Detroit Gear auto trans and the B-W is a simpler trans. My 20 cents worth.
Thanks for letting me share,
Kim

studegary
11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by kamzack

The reason for type "F" is the original type clutch plates are metalized and work better with "F". It's a friction modifier and will give better shifts. When trans is rebuilt and clutch pack is repalced, you can use a common type ATF. The replacement clutch plates are a different compound and no metal. Borg-Warner trans. were used by Ford as well, so that's kinda why you'll hear that it's a Ford spec. B-W developed the transmissions for Studebaker and when sales and production slowed,B-W started selling em to Ford. The B-W trans is a tough one. Studebaker was using a complicated Detroit Gear auto trans and the B-W is a simpler trans. My 20 cents worth.
Thanks for letting me share,
Kim

Maybe my memory is getting rusty, but I remember it the other way around. The DG series of transmissions were developed with Studebaker, but not the later B-W. Ford used these B-W transmissions before 1956, when Studebaker started to use them. I believe that Studebaker went to them because they were less expensive.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

kamzack
11-02-2006, 10:40 AM
The issue with fluid and clutch plates stands. I recall having read some info of DG's plant butning to the ground early fifties and that's part of the reason BW came in the picture.
As I stated, my 20 cents worth. Nothing 's cast in stone, but in pencil.
I enjoy being a part of this forum, SDC,cars and trucks the interaction it generates, and it is a large amount of fun, most of all lets me I'm not the only nut messin with these vehicles. My knowledge is limited to the 35 years or so I've been exposed to Studes and Hudsons and I take everyday as a learning process.
again, thanks for letting me share,
Kim

Harv
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the great feedback gents (2 cents or more sense is good). I prefer firmer shifts so Type "F" is what I'll go for. The car has 83,000 original miles on it with no known eng or trans rebuilds.

[8D]

StudeBakerHarv

ROADRACELARK
11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
As for the plant burning down,,, unless it's just a coincedence, the Hydromatic plant also burned down in the early 50s. That's why you saw some Cadillacs with Dynaflow trannys and Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles with Powerglides in them. Hudsons, at that time, had to relegate to the Borg-Warner unit. Amazing what the manufacturers can do in a pinch!;)
How many of you remember a certain 50's model Lincoln with a GM Hydromatic in it??[?] Ya' just never know.:)
Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

Roscomacaw
11-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I believe the stories are crossed. The place where DGs were assembled, never burnt down. That was GM's Hydra-Matic plant.

As has been said, Stude switched from their DG to an adaptation of the Ford-o-Matic because it was cheaper than the DG. Ironically, FORD had proposed to Studebaker that they be allowed to USE the DG early on, but since Stude had had it developed for themselves, they elected not to share. And it WAS a superior unit to what would eventually become the Ford-o-matic. Five years later, Stude was left behind in the sales race and to pinch pennies, they opted for an adaptation of the Ford unit. Since Ford was selling so many many more cars than Studebaker, their unit cost per tranny was lower. This meant B-W could build them for Studebaker (with some minor valving changes) cheaper than they could produce the lesser quantity DG series trannies.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

bams50
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
So what tranny does my 57 Provincial with the 259 have- and what fluid should I use for a change (dropped pan and clean/replace filter)? And while we're at it, would the filter be the reusable type or just replace?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

ROADRACELARK
11-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Robert,
It should have the Flight-O-Matic, aka, FOM. I think they all had the wire screen filter you can clean. As said before, you can use the type F for a firmer shift, or the Dexron. Don't forget to drain the torque convertor as well. That drain plug (takes a 7/16" 6 point socket) can be accessed through the round hole in the bottom of the bell housing. Hope this helps:)
Dan Miller

bams50
11-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks, Dan... so then it's not the Ford or the DG, but a third trans., right?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

ROADRACELARK
11-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Robert,
Yes, it is NOT the DG tranny, but it is very similar to the early Ford-O-Matic, if not identical. Very good, dependable and almost bullitproof tranny.:)
Dan Miller

curt
11-04-2006, 11:23 AM
The GM hydromatic plant burned just as Kaiser was finished producing cars a Willow Run. GM purchased the Kaiser plant to build the hydromatic transmissions. The joke in Kaiser-World is Edgar Kaise tourched the hydro plant so he could sell the Kaiser plant. Kaiser produced the Manhattan car in Argentina untill 1962.