Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW Big Bucks

Ilove this car but not the price.

This car belongs in the NSM. I think that would be where David would like it to be.
    I talked to David at Omaha in 06 and told him the story about playing in the car in the mortuary garage back around 1948. The funeral parlor owners son and I went to school together.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

It will be intersting to see what it will bring. David must have spent an incredible amount of time and resources restoring it.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

It will be intersting to see what it will bring. David must have spent an incredible amount of time and resources restoring it.
      I'd like to as well, but we're not going to; it's not an auction, unfortunately...

Maybe somebody will come on and disclose what offers it receives...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Every time I saw it, it made me uncomfortable. Nice car, but the history of what it was used for just made me sad.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeh JDP I agree, thats not one Id enjoy driving, looking at, or showing off.

John
          John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I have to agree with JP and the others, it is a turn off. Gruesome comes to mind.

Back in those days you could actually contract with the local trolley company to lay tracks from your home, and they would provide a Funeral Car for the family and the casket and take all out to the cemetery.

Comment

I still think that is one of the creepiest cars I've ever seen. Its positively ghoulish to me. Sorry, just my opinion.

sals54
              sals54

Comment

I have to agree with the majority - it is obviously a carefully restored vehicle, but you sure wouldn't want to take it to your local show 'n shine. I think the SNM would be the best home for this one (IMHO, of course).

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23-25, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

...Wait until the group finds out it was at the International at Charlotte a few years back, it'll blow there minds [)] [}]

Creepy, yes, Ghoulish, no doubt, a part of history needed to fill a role, such as the Trailer Toter or Ambulet, but of course. Looking at this from a restoration point, this is Professional Car Society material, just like the flower car, ambulance, adult hearse(thats a children's hearse), or limousine. I've known a couple of people who took interest in the vehicles, who usually looked at it from a historical point of view, such as taking interest in the development of the tow truck through the ages. On the same, note, the people I knew had an open mind about driving the vehicle. A little dignity is necessary, as well as maybe some imagination of the chauffership kind, and some respect for who rode in the back(quiet as they may be), and it can make for interesting piece to show. Personally, I look at just like the occaisonal Zip Van, Taxi, Trailer Toter, or etc, that may show up. It makes for an interesting conversation piece.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I think it's a beautiful car with an interesting history. I don't think I'd own it, but I'd definitely be looking it over if I saw it at a meet or museum.

What's REALLY gruesome is that until yesterday a.m., Jayne Mansfield's 1966 Buick Electra 225 4-door Hardtop, in which she was killed with her driver and also her boyfriend, was on eBay. It got 'pulled' off eBay. It was in Yadkinville, SC. Her three children who were in the back seat at the time, all survived. Can you only imagine how they would feel if they knew someone was trying to make money off of it all these years later?

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by Dick Clemens

Ilove this car but not the price.

This car belongs in the NSM. I think that would be where David would like it to be.
                    I talked to David at Omaha in 06 and told him the story about playing in the car in the mortuary garage back around 1948. The funeral parlor owners son and I went to school together.

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

I admit the car does give me the chills a little, but with that little casket, I wouldn't be comfortable anywhere near it... when I think about it, I can't specifically say why, I just know that's the case[:I]

Still, it's not NEARLY as creepy as the hearse in this thread:

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

David Neitzel originally acquired this hearse from a funeral home in Brazil IN, on U.S.40 near Terre Haute on the western edge of Indiana. That funeral home has/had expressed a sincere interest in buying it back from the estate...but I doubt at that kind of price!

(Interestingly, the owners of that funeral home were loyal Studebaker customers. Maybe 10 years ago, they finally turned loose of an unbelievably-original 1953 Land Cruiser they had bought new. Two-tone grey with Overdrive. It was the most untouched '53 anything I'd seen for years, with actual miles in the 30,000 range. Unusually well-preserved; always in a heated garage at the "home." It traded hands once in our Indy Chapter and is now being cared for by one of our chapter members.)

Anyway, some of the posted observations here are correct about the potential market for this hearse: There are many non-Studebaker people in The Professional Car Society to whom this might appeal, so it may well go outside the Studebaker hobby and help us expand our membership and interest in antique Studebakers. [8D]BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi guys,
                          it is a special car.
                          I suppose that nobody would want our 1939 convertible either as it was the casket baring car for our first baby daughter Kristianne's funeral a few years ago.
                          Sad things happen in life, and there are needs for Studebakers in that role.
                          Davids car is one of them. I would think that back in the 20's the mortality rate of children was a lot higher than it is today.

Greg

Greg Diffen
                          Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                          1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                          1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                          1939 Commander Sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards
                          1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                          1961 Hawk
                          1963 Daytona Hardtop
                          1988 Avanti Convertible
                          Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                          1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                          1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                          1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                          1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                          1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

I see a lot of people are turned off by the car. Doesn't anyone remember the funeral car from Washington state that was at Omaha and Southbend. 394 points at Omaha and 400 points at South Bend.
                            I say look at these cars the same as any other vehicle made to do a job. When we used to play in it it was an ambulance. You have a great imagination when your 14-15 years old.

Comment

I don't find it "creepy" at all. Can I appreciate the work that's gone into it's restoration? Sure. Is it something I'd endeavor to own? No - not at all.
                              It has a place in history and it belongs in a museum. I just can't envision.... "Hey honey! Let's take the kiddie-hearse for a spin today! Great day for a cruise in that beauty."[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X