PDA

View Full Version : Partial-Flow Oil Filter Restrictor Size?

Eddie
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
What size restrictor did Stude use in the pressure side of the partial-flow oil filter? The entire oil filter assembly is missing off my engine--but I have an extra OEM-style Fram cannister, just no hoses. Yet.

Eddie

Tom B
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Studebaker International has a No. 530918 fitting, it may be for the fuel pump lube (51-4) but will work for the oil filter, too. You screw this into the tapped hole in the head, then plumb the filter from there.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
(Under Construction) 336 hrs.
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

StudeRich
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Eddie; check your oil filter inlet FITTING FOR A .040-.050 orifice or in the Filter case, you do not need two of them.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

garyash
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Here is calculated flow for 30W oil at 212 F for various orifice sizes and pressures. You just need to be sure that you don't send too much oil through the filter and wind up dropping the pressure.
http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/orifice_flow.jpg

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Dwain G.
07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Carefully inspect the stand pipe inside the cannister. Some these had one tiny (.045" approx.) hole in them for oil to return through. That will serve as the restrictor. Document the hot, running, oil pressure now and again after installing the filter. Any significant pressure loss means you have more work to do.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

Eddie
07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
The add-on Fram cannister-type filter I have is an extra, bought from Vintage Power Wagon, as an optional add-on for military Dodge M-37, black case with the proper Fram decals on it (going by Stude parts dealers pics of the Fram decal).

Interestingly, it bolted right up to the oil-fill tube's pad; both the cannister case and the engine block have restrictors in 'em, and both restrictor holes are less than a 1/16" drill bit. My (bifocalled) Eye-O-Meter says both restrictor holes are different diameters, so I'll have a range of oil pressure and volume adjustment to fool with, way on down the road when the engine runs.

I'm going to bet that this filter assembly was the same period-correct piece aftermarket piece whether it goes on the Dodge or the Studebaker.

Thanks for the info!

gnaar1
07-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know where you can get a canister oil filter for a 1948 Champion? Also where does this type of filter connect to the block?

Thanks for any help

StudeRich
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
On the drivers side of the cyl. head, under two head bolts. Usually it is the forward coil/plug wire raceway bracket head bolt and the one forward of that.

It will return oil into the filler pipe (plug on side) and get pressure from an oil gallery 1/8" pipe plug hole for lifter oiling on the pass. side.

It uses a C2 Fram Cartridge in a F2 Filter unit, or could use the heavy duty Commander unit: the F4 filter with the C4 Cartridge.

For the most part, used units are all that is left now.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

gnaar1
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Do you have any sources for used filers?

StudeRich
07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Just old parts cars, and I have no Champion flathead mounting brackets, MAYBE a V-8 or two, if the Hornets would let me get near them! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by gnaar1

Do you have any sources for used filers?

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Kenmike2
11-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Built a partial flow system onto a 259 V8 with a spin-on adaptor and a filter with no internal orifice. On startup oil pressure would be only about 30-35 psi. as the oil warmed up the pressure would slowly decline until at 50 MPH on the highway I had 10-12 psi showing.

Discovered that I had erroneously left out an orifice to restrict flow through the filter. When I installed a .045 orifice in the filter outlet line the engine oil pressure came back to normal. The inlet to the filter is 1/8 inch (#2 AN) stainless flex and the outlet , back to the oil pan is 3/16 brake tubing with inverted flares. Thus this is a testament that: 1. There is a lot of oil flowing through the filter. 2. a 3/16 tube can "leak" away almost all the oil that the oil pump is pumping. 3. I will run a filter on any engine just as an insurance policy. It's cheap insurance.

rkapteyn
11-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Make sure that the restrictor is in the inlet to the filter and no restrictor on the return.
This will prevent pressure buildup in the filter and prevents oil leaking from the canister lid.
On the sixes the restrictor fitting is on the oil pump.
On factory installed filters the tube to the filter from the oil pump is partially copper but on dealer installed filters there is a long rubber hose.
On some of the early V8 there was a special double tube fitting on the drivers side cylinder head for the inlet to the filter.

Robert Kapteyn