PDA

View Full Version : Battery hold downs

studelover
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I know how important it is for the battery hold down to be in place here on the forum. Question are those j bolts suppose to be so long? with that frame on top of the battery is there a chance that the post will touch?:(I tried to be very carful however anything can happen.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/mr1940/IMG_2149.jpg

Studebakers forever!

52-fan
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
If in doubt, trim them off a little. It would be a shame to damage anything on that pretty car.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg
1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
"I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

BobPalma
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
:) Congrats on the concern, Rodney. (Cool use of that air cleaner, too!)

It looks like you have both the hold-down and the battery itself installed correctly, with the cut-out portion of the hold-down going around the posts as it should, and the posts toward the inside of the car. J-bolt length looks correct, too.

However, the rear J-bolt should also be securing that stray bracket from the cowl that is currently sitting nearby, but not under the J-bolt's head. :DBP

StudeRich
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I love those insulated terminal covers on your batt. cables, [:p] but they are the smallest Ga. wire I have ever seen. Are they designed to carry the Amperage of a riding lawn mower or something? [:0]

Maybe it's an optical illusion, but that ground especially looks almost half the size of normal 12V volt Automotive cables! [:0]

Where did you connect the ground cable? [?]

It looks a lot neater than the factory setup that used a Group 24 batt. with the Negative post forward and then a long cable all the way to the upper Water Manifold bolt. You have a 24F (Ford) Batt. that allows you to have the Ground at the rear. [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

studegary
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree with what Bob and Rich said.
I would not trim the J-bolts. Your next battery may be a 1/2 inch taller.
I have recently purhased a correct Duralast battery in 24/24C size (It appears that you have a 24F).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studelover
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Gary, I asked the person at Autozone to look up the 61 hawk in his computer, he did and told me this is what the computer called for, I had to ask for a battery that put the posts on the inside position so I would not have 4th of July under there, The ground strap is connected to the manifold bolt. I see what you mean if the battery was taller than the j bolts would be perfect. I guess the next battery I get I will have the 24/24c size. We live and learn[:p]that for that info, it's stored and recorded.

Studebakers forever!

BobPalma
07-02-2008, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by studelover
The ground strap is connected to the manifold bolt.

:) Rodney: The battery ground strap should not be under an exhaust manifold bolt. That heats up and will cause resistance problems. Further, the heat/cool cycling will eventually lead to a poor connection and a myriad of other problems that could be hard to chase down.

If you want to fasten it in an obscure place at the back of the engine, use one of the temp gauge sending unit adapter bolts at the rear of the left cylinder head. They are the same size as the water pump manifold bolts at the front of the engine; the ones Studebaker used to connect the ground wire to the engine on production Hawks. :DBP

A1956GoldenHawk
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by studelover

I know how important it is for the battery hold down to be in place here on the forum. Question are those j bolts suppose to be so long? with that frame on top of the battery is there a chance that the post will touch?:(I tried to be very carful however anything can happen.
Studebakers forever!

Nice looking engine compartment!!!;)

The overall length of the battery hold down bolts for a '61 Hawk should be 9 13/16"

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>