Location of Temp Send unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of Temp Send unit?

Don't have my manual yet. Could someone please tell me where to locate the temperature sending unit that is somewhere on the block? I need some detail, as I have looked and looked, to no avail. The orange wire from my temp gage has somehow become disconnected. The connecting terminal is the flat, slide-on style.
    Thanks so much.

Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

which car? on a V-8 it is on the rear of the driver's side cylinder head, screwed into a blank plate that covers the hole that would be for the water manifold were it mounted the other direction. not sure about the Champ but ISTR that those are more obvious so I'm assuming that I've given you the answer you need.

The connection is not a tab like you expect but a round "button." The .250" female connector will slide over it however.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

On the 6, it is at the rear of the block on the driver's side, pretty much all by itself. Looks like a hex nut with jelly in the center and a bolt/pin sticking out. The connector should be an eyelet held on with a nut. But if you have a slide-on, you should be able to find the other half in a connector assortment kit.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

which car? on a V-8 it is on the rear of the driver's side cylinder head, screwed into a blank plate that covers the hole that would be for the water manifold were it mounted the other direction.

nate
        Now that's interesting, mine is screwed into the rear of the block on the passenger side... just above where the oil pressure gauge line comes off?!

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23-25, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the info.! Sorry, Nate and others. Should have specified the vehicle - it is the '59, 259ci. V8. Just changed my signature profile tonight, as the Hawk is a new car to me.

I don't understand why there is a female slide-on connector on the end of the orange line. I didn't even think they had that style of connector that far back.

But tomorrow is a new day. I'll give it another shot with the information you have delivered. Thanks again.

Dave D.
          '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
          '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
          Dave D.
          '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Comment

Nate's right. The sending unit is a small hex plug about the size of weedeater spark plug. It is, or should be, on the rear of the driver's side cylinder head, right next to the throttle bellcrank, which is held on by one of the screws that holds the temp sending unit adaptor plate to the head. It's easier to feel it than to see it. The terminal looks like a small common nailhead, and the female spade connector slides over the nailhead from the side, not straight on.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Now that I think about it, on a 6V V-8 I think that the sender uses a threaded stud with a tab bolted to it. but that's not really applicable to Dave's situation.

Mark, I don't know a thing about trucks other than they use similar engines and haul stuff, so perhaps the sender was located in a different location on the trucks

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

OK - I think I got her. The connnector is hanging on to something in that vicinity, but doesn't appear very stable - like its barely there. I'll take your advice Gord and remove it and push it on from the side (horizontally) rather than vertically and hopefully it will have a better grasp. I know that if I take that stabilizer bar off the engine hood and crawl back up and over the engine, I'll get a "bird's eye" view.

Dave D.
                '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
                '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
                Dave D.
                '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Mark, I don't know a thing about trucks other than they use similar engines and haul stuff, so perhaps the sender was located in a different location on the trucks

nate
                  I might agree with you except that I have a '63/64 car 289 engine in my truck.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

May 23-25, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Mark; not to worry! When they installed that car engine they would have had to put a Truck throttle linkage bellcrank on it to fit the "C" Cab![:0]

What does that have to do with the sender you say? ...A lot! The special Truck bellcrank is a cylinder head end hole cover plate as well, and it has no hole for the sender, causing it to be on the RIGHT head instead![:0]

They were wonderful cost saving magicians at Studebaker Engineering, Huh! [^]

What was that some of you were saying about the sender on a Champion "6" being on the drivers side rear OF THE BLOCK! [?] I don't think so, at least not the years that this aftermarket head was designed to be an exact fit on!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Mark; not to worry! When they installed that car engine they would have had to put a Truck throttle linkage bellcrank on it to fit the "C" Cab![:0]

What does that have to do with the sender you say? ...A lot! The special Truck bellcrank is a cylinder head end hole cover plate as well, and it has no hole for the sender, causing it to be on the RIGHT head instead![:0]

Thanks Rich, I wasn't worried, but always interested in learning something new!

Are you heading down to Oregon City next week for the Zone Meet?

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

May 23-25, 2009?
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Yes Mike and I are going to the Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet, bringing some parts, requests for parts with free shipping accepted, also see hotwheels63r2 ebay items. Here: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/hotwheels63r2

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Are you heading down to Oregon City next week for the Zone Meet?[/font=Comic Sans MS]
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes Mike and I are going to the Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet, bringing some parts, requests for parts with free shipping accepted,
                          Thanks Rich - I have sent you a couple of items under your other post.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island

May 23-25, 2009?
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                          X