PDA

View Full Version : Porsche engineer - "perfect Avanti streamlining"

Dan Timberlake
06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I was looking thru the book "Industrial Design" by Raymond Loewy.
On page 15 RL is talking about talent, educated intuition, and experience.

"I remember when the chief engineer of Porsche in Stuttgart asked me, "Loewy, how did you wind-test the Avanti?" I said, "Why do you ask?" "Well, we know a little here about streamlining, and your Avanti is almost perfect, no parasitic noise at high speed, skin friction reduced to practically nothing." I said I didn't test it at all." He couldn't believe it. "No," I said," I did it by feel and design intuition."

Are Avantis really quiet (low wind noise) at speed?

N8N
06-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I dunno, it's hard to hear over the exhaust rumble and blower whine :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

DEEPNHOCK
06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Not too bad as long as the back window stays in[}:)];)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dan Timberlake
<snip>
Are Avantis really quiet (low wind noise) at speed?

PackardV8
06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
The early models with out drip rails are only quiet by the standards of 1963 hardtops. Of course, there is so much engine and road noise coming up through the firewall, who'd notice a little "parasitic high speed skin friction" anyway?

Secondly, Raymond was one of the all time great self-promoters. He never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

gordr
06-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Having owned both an Avanti, and a GT Hawk, I'd say the latter car has a LOT less wind buffeting when driving at speed with the windows down.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

mbstude
06-30-2008, 08:50 AM
My uncle has a late model Jeep Wrangler with folding top and zip-up windows. It's quieter than my grandparent's Avanti II.

As a side note, the Avanti has the sun roof too, and if we drive it in the rain, umbrellas get opened up. [}:)][xx(]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar-9.jpg

JBOYLE
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
My guess from reading about aerodynamics...
"parasitic noise" and "skin friction" have practically nothing
to do with the kind of typical road noise your're all describing...with or without the windows down. :D

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JDP
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Yep, not a bit of cool air enter the cockpit on a hot day. Without AC, you have a pretty neat oven with the heat coming up from the console. Avanti: "Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, wet in the rain."

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson

Laemmle
06-30-2008, 08:35 PM
For more than 40 years our Avanti if out in the rain...The severity of the rain would be reflected in the following....the rain would either be a one two three or four towel rain....with four towels eight arms would be up holding back the leaks.....feet not able to hold towels under the dash to catch the water from getting on our feet and legs!

Long live the gaskets on Avantis!:(

Retired
07-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Re: Road noise. See my article in AOAI magazine "The Useless Hole".