PDA

View Full Version : Speedster Engine Color?

riversidevw
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
The catalogs of Stude vendors list blue as the color for '55 engines.

My Speedster has engine color more aptly described as light green or aqua, almost turquoise. Doesn't seem to have been repainted (at least not for a very long time), the engine number is appropriate for '55 President production.

Is the current color correct? Available anywhere without doing a custom match job?

StudeRich
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Well if you have a good eye for telling Blue from Green, which an amazing number of people do NOT, and it's actually Turquoise GREEN and not Medium Blue, then it was painted with '56-'57 Studebaker Green by mistake. [:0]

Also keep in mind that 20 or 30 years or way less, with quite a bit of heat will change the color! :)

You are half way there, if you have all the Gold on the Valve Covers, Air Cleaner and Oil cap and the Passmaster Decals! [^]

Most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com have the correct color of Engine Enamel, no need to custom mix it!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

warrlaw1
06-30-2008, 03:06 PM
My 55, 259 bearcat looked turquois on the valley cover but that was heat from 75,000 miles. Alberta Blue was the original and the bearcat (2 bbl, single exhaust) has silver valve covers, etc. Good luck with it!

Johnnywiffer
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Take your choice. All from Speedsters....

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/1-2.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/2-1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/5-1.jpg

John

Eddie
07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

My 55, 259 bearcat looked turquois on the valley cover but that was heat from 75,000 miles. Alberta Blue was the original and the bearcat (2 bbl, single exhaust) has silver valve covers, etc. Good luck with it!

Interesting...I thot Stude's entire engine lineup had Gold valve covers, but I coulda sworn the '55 Bearcat engine I just got has Silver rocker covers. I fingered it was a case of heat- and age-worn Gold color fading to Silver...

Did Stude do anything (engine paint scheme) else weird for the '55 224s?

Eddie

StudeRich
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Johnnie; as you can see these are highly MODIFIED engines with aftermarket heater valve, oil cap, Alternators, Carburetor, Valve Covers, yellow oil cap, missing oil filter decals, etc. [xx(]

None are good original examples, [V] however the BLUE one with the incorrect finned valve covers is the right color. [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

studegary
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
As Rich said, do not go by modified cars, as pictured, to answer authenticity questions.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Eddie
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Boy...that test-sheet I sprayed with my new can of "Alberta Blue" I bought from one of our vendors is sure a whole lot darker than the blue on my '55 engine and in the pics (above). The test-sheet is deep blue, almost black, and if anything, is nearer the darker blue of the the first engine in the series (above, with gold valve covers and the factory-issue Edelbrock carbonator).

I've been spending a couple hours per day with degreaser, a spray hose, and (sigh) a hand scaper peeling layer upon layer of crap'n'corruption and luckily areas of Blue OEM paint are beginning to show up; hopefully I will discover a large enough are of original paint to make a side-by-side OEM/Vendor companison possible.

Eddie

Tom B
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Whatever color blue I got from Studebaker International matches the first one above, the one with the alternator. (It only shows on the oil filter) I ordered the paint for a 55 President, thats what they sent.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
(Under Construction) 343 hrs.
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars