pg. 32, July TW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pg. 32, July TW

re: the pic of the Nine-O-Nine and 1942 President Skyway.

Here is a pic of the same plane earlier this summer. The 3 visible engines are all Studebakers.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Thanks for mentioning that plane, Bob. Does anyone know where the Nine-O-Nine moniker came from; to what it refers? I read the description but can't make the connection. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I don't know about the plane, but the July issue is one of the best yet! Lots of forum members got some coverage!

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I don't know. I have an image of the description sign and it doesn't mention that. I hope someone knows, though.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I don't know about the plane, but the July issue is one of the best yet! Lots of forum members got some coverage!

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Really?? Wonder who?

Comment

I started to post my answer, but thought I'd better check first. Turns out I was right!!! From Wikpedia~

"A block 30 B-17G manufactured by the Boeing Company, she was nicknamed after the last three digits of her serial number: 42-31909. She was added to the USAAF inventory on December 15, 1943, and flown overseas on February 5, 1944. After depot modifications, she was delivered to the 91st BG at RAF Bassingbourn, England, on February 24, 1944, as a replacement aircraft, one of the last B-17s received in factory-applied camouflage paint.
            B-17G-85-DL, 44-83575, civil register N93012, owned and flown by The Collings Foundation, Stow, Massachusetts, currently appears at airshows marked as the historic Nine-O-Nine."

That last line would make the plane pictured above as a 'clone' if you will.

StudeDave [8D]
            San Diego, Ca.
            San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
            '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
            '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks, Studedave57. Your info matches exactly with the poster shown at the show. It simply didn't address the serial number change. The number on the poster is 44-83575. Did they change it to indicate a rebuild?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

In other words~ 44-83575 is painted to replicate what 42-31909 looked like...
                right down to the s/n on the side of the plane.

StudeDave [8D]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Well, that's sort of disappointing, in a way. It ought to be advertised as the plane it is, not as a plane it isn't. I could understand they rebuilt it and renumbered it, but painting my bullet-nose two-tone gold and white won't make it a '57 Golden Hawk. OMG, I hadn't thought of that! I'm going to the paint store tomorrow...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Well, that's sort of disappointing, in a way. It ought to be advertised as the plane it is, not as a plane it isn't.
                    The sign shows it as "44-83575" then what's the problem? That's it's real number. It'd be like using a s/n plate (and/or body tag) to say you have a car you don't. But a little more legal in the case of the plane, as I'm sure it's original builder's plate is still there. Paint comes off...

Not all of the historic aircraft from World War 2 were saved as they should/could have been!!! [:0] [V]

StudeDave [8D]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

My late father was in the 7th AAF and then the 8th AAF in WWII.
                      He was a machinist that would do the 'special factory modifications' to both new planes
                      going into service and updates on the planes already in service.
                      I have a lot of stories that he shared with me, but I had to bug hime to open up and tell me about those times.
                      Too bad we lost him a ling time ago...at age 50[V]
                      Here's to you, Dad!
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
                      I started to post my answer, but thought I'd better check first. Turns out I was right!!! From Wikpedia~
                      "A block 30 B-17G manufactured by the Boeing Company, she was nicknamed after the last three digits of her serial number: 42-31909. She was added to the USAAF inventory on December 15, 1943, and flown overseas on February 5, 1944. [u]After depot modifications</u>, she was delivered to the 91st BG at RAF Bassingbourn, England, on February 24, 1944, as a replacement aircraft, one of the last B-17s received in factory-applied camouflage paint.
                      B-17G-85-DL, 44-83575, civil register N93012, owned and flown by The Collings Foundation, Stow, Massachusetts, currently appears at airshows marked as the historic Nine-O-Nine."
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Just as our beloved Studebakers were quickly relegated to the back rows of used car lots or shuttled into wrecking yards - a lot of war machinery that had fantastic action history was summarily smelted and turned into new planes after WWII.
                        And again, like our Studes, some survived with sheltered or limited use - LONG ENOUGH for nostalgia to kick in and make folks wanna save what was left.[^] If it hadn't been for WWII leftovers serving with the fledgling ANG units and in foreign air forces, there's be WAY less such examples to enjoy today.[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                        X