Looking for Granatelli Stude info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Granatelli Stude info

Is there one main site to learn about Granatelli's Studebaker work, particularly how to identify a Granatelli car? Were there even Studes Granatelli specifically built/worked on/owned?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

I don't know how to identify a particular car as a Granatelli car, but here's one that the family owned.

This is a 37K original mile, completely unrestored '64 GT Hawk. Bought new my the Granatelli family as a personal car. I know, its not an R car. It IS a survivor though, with perfect original paint and interior. The owner, who has owned it for 30+ years, drives it to shows, but he does keep the miles low. I judged it at the 4th annual GA State Meet, and it's as nice as it looks. I even looked for paint chips, and they're not there! As far as originality, the owner stated that he still had the original tires on it until two years ago. They're now in his garage.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Many years back a production order was uncovered for a 64 Champ pick-up diverted to engineering for up-fit of a R-2 engine, 4-speed car tranny, and disc brakes. Reported being ordered by, or for, Andy Granatelli.[?] Any others remember anything about this truck??[?]

Dan Miller
      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I believe that's the truck that was on Dennis Gage's show last year; belons to a guy with a bunch of Studes. Don't remember the details.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Bob,

Though I have never read it, the book "They Call Me Mr. 500" might provide you with some information. Perhaps someone who has a copy (or has read it) can give a review.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Mabe BP will chime in here. I know he, cousin George, and a select few others, spent many hours/days foraging through thousands of those production orders, searching for the "special" R powered cars, as well as ANYTHING that got diverted to "engineering". Strikin' out for Bristol, TN. tommorrow AM...rain or shine, "SS" in tow. (Super Sedan) Hope we don't git rained out come track time.

Dan Miller
            Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
            Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

A few years ago Jon Myers gave an excellent talk that included some information about Granatelli Studebaker stuff at a Tri-State Meet in Asheville, NC. Contact him he might be able to answer some of your questions.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The R2 Champ is alive and well here in Phoenix. It is decent now but he plans a full restoration on it soon.
                Denny L

Comment

Bob: from all I have learned from living near Paxton Products, and going there, it appears to me that most of the "Special cars" were owned by Studebaker Corp. there would be very few like the one Matt has seen that were actually "Personal" cars. Andy, Vince and Joe did not need them, the Corp. loaned them all they wanted.

Being President of Paxton Products Div. of Studebaker had many perks, when I was there picking up my R3 Headers the place was surrounded with '64 Super Larks (one in particular was a Red Cruiser with bucket seats and R2, Power Shift) I would think he could take his pick! [^]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Is there one main site to learn about Granatelli's Studebaker work, particularly how to identify a Granatelli car? Were there even
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mike, I really can't prove whats under that hood but it was rumored to be supercharged, but yes I have the 9X12 black and white Paxton file print of Andy and a '62 Cruiser at Paxton Prod. in Santa Monica.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Is there one main site to learn about Granatelli's Studebaker work, particularly how to identify a Granatelli car? Were there even Studes Granatelli specifically built/worked on/owned?

Parish, central NY 13131

There was a '63 Lark that was on the show field last year in South Bend. The only good photo I got of it was this build sheet that was in the window.[B)]

Craig

Comment

The reason I asked is because I'd been told of some "Granatelli" Studes in the area that a buddy matter-of-factly mentioned, assuming I knew about them![:0] Upon further discussion he meant r-engined cars, and knew that the Granatelli name was involved with Studes somehow.

He claims there is a collection of different makes that contains several Studes, including a factory 4dr. r2 Lark, and at least one car with an r3! He's a solid, reliable friend, and I trust his word, although he could have some details wrong; but his story was verified independently by a couple others I asked, who also assumed I knew about them[B)]

The owner passed away in 2004, but the widow has a caretaker that keeps the cars active and in driving condition. My friend Joe knows that caretaker, and promises to introduce me to him next month at the Syracuse Nationals. I told him I'd PAY for the chance to see the collection!! And less than an hour away[]

I hesitated to mention this until I saw them for myself, but it is an exciting prospect. You can bet, if I go to see such a collection, it will be with camera in hand, and this will be the first place I come with what I find!![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote: Do we still have the picture of Andy standing by the 62 sedan with an R2?
                          You read my mind, Mike! [8D]

Craig, here's that Velvet Black '63 2 door. Jon Myer has owned it for many years.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I get over to see Vince from time to time. He has told me some interesting stories.
                            Denny L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Mabe BP will chime in here. I know he, cousin George, and a select few others, spent many hours/days foraging through thousands of those production orders, searching for the "special" R powered cars, as well as ANYTHING that got diverted to "engineering". Strikin' out for Bristol, TN. tommorrow AM...rain or shine, "SS" in tow. (Super Sedan) Hope we don't git rained out come track time.

Dan Miller
                              Atlanta, GA
                              True, Dan: There are many goodies hiding on paper...and who's to say they've all been discovered?

Remember, several additional 1963 R-powered cars were among the several dozen or so previously-overlooked 1963 production orders "discovered" in a file cabinet maybe 10 years ago, long after all the research on 1963 JT cars was thought to have been concluded!

As an aside, I have now sent to new Jet Thrust News' Editor Joe Bacon, the complete lists of all 1963 and 1964 JT-powered cars by serial and engine numbers. The lists to Joe included the data on the several late-bloomers discovered among that group mentioned in the above paragraph.

Best wishes on your racing this weekend, Dan. Go easy on the competition so it looks like a legitimate race, and let us know by what margin you WON! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X