PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant from 289 Convertible

jpiatchek
10-29-2006, 07:28 PM
I store my Studebaker Daytona 289 4 speed Convertible on a lift and park my Mustang under it for extra space. When I pulled the Mustang out today, there were antifreeze drops on the hood that were coming from the Daytona. Upon inspection, it looked as if the antifreeze was coming from the back end of the oil pan by the U. I could see drops coming down the bell housing cover(I think that is what it is called). I wiped it off the engine, and it hasn't dripped in the last couple of hours. I drove the car 1000 miles to Omaha and it ran great the whole way. The oil does not seem to be diluted, however I just changed oil. I have no oil drips on this engine anywhere, the rear main, or front seals. It has been dry. How could antifreeze be coming from the back of the engine? Is there a freeze plug on the back of the engine that could be leaking? How else could the antifreeze be getting there? It doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere else. However, I have a little bit of antifreeze dripping from the bottom of the radiator. Could it be blowing back there? There are no indications of a blown headgasket by the way it runs and the radiator is still mostly full. The oil pressure is great and it does not run hot or burn much oil. This must have just started, because I have not noticed it before. Any help would be appreciated.

Skip Lackie
10-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Yes, there are freeze plugs that could be causing the problem. It also could be leaking from a heater hose and dripping down on the back of the engine. Run your finger along the bottom of the heater hoses where they penetrate the firewall. Do the same for the two radiator hoses. If they're dry, then you may have a small leak in the radiator in addition to what's leaking in the back. It's possible that the anti-freeze is blowing back there from a leak in the radiator, but I would think you would see evidence of it all along the bottom of the engine.

Skip Lackie

Alan
10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
On the back of the head there is a plate that has the throtle linkage and also the water temp sending unit. Sometimes you have to get back in there and make shure the bolts are toght.

jpiatchek
10-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Upon closer examination, I think I have found the problem. It looks like coolant is leaking from the back side freeze plug on the passengers side, just behind the dipstick holder. The garage floor that the lift sits on has a slight downward slant. THe leak is ever so slight and it looks like it drips down on to the oil pan and follows the contour to it's lowerst point, the bottom of the U on the pan, and then drips off the engine. I need to take the car off the lift this weekend and run it and put the system under pressure and check it again to be sure. I'm pretty sure that is the problem.