Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J & K trucks. Anyone got a parts book for them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J & K trucks. Anyone got a parts book for them?

If so, please look in the part number index and see if Part number 199939 is listed. If it IS - turn to section 1310 and tell me what the applications are.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Everything I have from that era jumps from 199938 to 40. Maybe 39 superceded, although I don't find it in any price books either. Is it a button with emblem or just the emblem alone?

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

What Dwain said. Not listed.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Well Dwain, Skip, - you two sent me scrambling for my two parts price list books. I hadn't checked THEM, because that numbe IS listed as applicable for some trucks from '55 thru '60. The reason I ask about the earlier trucks is that 199939 is obviously an early part number. And while I DO have the car chassis book back to '34 (and that number's not listed there), I don't have any earlier truck book than that that covers the M-series. SINCE it appears to be a pretty early number and it's an early style part (yes, a plain, unadorned button) I was curious to see if it's earliest use might have been in those older trucks.
        It just seems odd that a number of that sort would first debut as late as 1955.

BTW, I also need to know the coloration of the '66 horn button vs. that of the 64-65 button. Anyone know??? I've got both styles, I just am not sure which one's which.[:I]

Edit: One chucklesome note here regarding this truck horn button. Ya hafta wonder about little gaffs like this... The parts book lists the button as applicable to models 1,3,5,6,10,&11. Then on the next line down, it lists that same number AGAIN and says it's applicable to 2,7&12! One listing would have done for all models[)] And this is but ONE example of where the same part number is listed multiple times on the same page with different applications.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I never would have thought to look in a later book for the horn button number. There's a pretty good photo of it in the 3E supplement. I do see a few 19----- numbers used in that area up into the '60s.
          I think the '66 horn button is all-black?

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

As we all know, there were always a few very old part numbers that survived to be used in much more modern vehicles. But a 199xxx number being FIRST USED in the 1950s? The only explanation I can come up with is that the part was designed back in the 30s and was assigned a part number, but was never used for some reason. 20 years later, Stude needed something just like it and saved a few bucks by using an existing design.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip, this is why I've asked if anyone has a book for the older, large trucks. I've got the car chassis and body books that cover back to '34. As well, I've got the M-series book and all the later truck books too. I'm just wondering if that 199939 wasn't something used in the old trucks (OR! Geez - this just hit me!) maybe it's from the 6X6 trucks! Anyone got a book for therm???[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
              X