PDA

View Full Version : Project A: best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

63Avanti
10-29-2006, 05:17 PM
hi!

best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio. (not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more.
Now for the "new" question.
What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti (with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Terry, North Texas
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
(in stage 1 resto "Project A")
http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS
1999 Toyota rice burner

1956 Hawk
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Most any of the high performance 8mm plug wires should work(Taylor, MSD, Moroso, etc.). I am running Taylor 8.2mm wires on my R2. The only thing I had to do to get them to fit was cut back the rubber in the wire looms. Also all of these are cut to fit, so you either need to get a set of spark plug wire crimpers, or find a speed shop that will do them for you. By the way expect to pay at least $80 for a good set of wires.
David

Mike Van Veghten
11-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Again....

Mike Van Veghten
11-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Funny...beside this is the second time asked.

It's funny that people ask for the "BEST" of this or that or whatever they're interested in.

Don't people realize most everyone has their "own best"?

So now what...thirty people chime in with what they consider that this is THE BEST part. What have you learned? There are only five manifactures making "X" part...and all five are on part of the thirty "someones" best list!

Hmmm...back where you started!

Maybe not being "quite" so exact about THE best may help, or just ask for opinions.

Mike

StudeRich
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Well Terry; I don't know what you drove in the '60's, but Avantis have stainless steel shielding and 7mm radio resistant wires standard, and I never heard of anyone having static even with the "new" FM radios. The Packard Brand 7mm that all the Stude. vendors sell works just fine without any modification. I am with Mike on this, just can't understand why people want someone else's "best" when normal works just fine! [:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bams50
11-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Maybe the OP is just trying to do the best they can for a car they love and didn't put a lot of time into considering the semantics of what they wrote...

He probably realizes everyone has favorites- and is just asking for opinions as to what they are, so he can draw from other's experiences... [B)]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

63Avanti
11-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I drove Plymouths. They were terrible interferers if you put in an aftermarket. Only thing worse was "any Ford." I always knew when my Ford neighbors were passing by by the UHF crosshatching on the TV.

I did notice the shielding. I am not certain what I have in wiring but it definitely does not look 7mm.

In any case, thanks to everyone who took the time to answer (and not criticize) the question. Once I get my AM/FM Avanti Radio back, I will start with what I have and work through the "usual suspects" on at a time.

thanks!

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Well Terry; I don't know what you drove in the '60's, but Avantis have stainless steel shielding and 7mm radio resistant wires standard, and I never heard of anyone having static even with the "new" FM radios. The Packard Brand 7mm that all the Stude. vendors sell works just fine without any modification. I am with Mike on this, just can't understand why people want someone else's "best" when normal works just fine! [:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Terry, North Texas
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
(in stage 1 resto "Project A")
http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS
1999 Toyota rice burner

bams50
11-02-2006, 07:44 PM
As for wires, I've always gone to my local parts store and told them what I needed wires for; then they usually say something like, "Do you want the standard wires or the best ones?"... I then say, "Give me the best ones you've got."

That approach has always served me well; I recommend it! ;)

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bentlee
11-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Along with any carbon core style wires you might be sure your charging system is in good condition. Alternators / generators can cause interference too.

Brent Lee
61 Hawk

chocolate turkey
11-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Noise is generated by all those mechanical/electrical things in the car. A vehicle such as an Avanti with a fiberglass body requires that the ground points be PERFECT! If by chance the grounds are corroded, or broken, the noise will find the shortest path. RF is funny stuff! The antenna will pick up on all that erronious noise and the radio will transmit it. The ignition wires are only one part of the puzzle.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis