OK, what's wrong? Take a guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, what's wrong? Take a guess

I have a 64 Strato Blue ragtop in my garage (not mine) Guy dropped it off and said just take care of anything it needs! Needed a valve adjustment BAD, so, I pull the plug wires and valve covers and set the valves. Button it all back up, and all she would do is backfire and fart a few times through the carb.
    I doubled checked the firing order, Looked for anything that I might have screwed up, nothing "ovious" I called Lee D. and asked him what he thought.
    I got her running, runs great, no valve noise etc, but, I'll let you guys take a shot at what Lee said to check! <g. So, take your best shot! It's SO simple, almost unbelievable.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Jim: The three easiest mistakes (other than a body man doing mechanical work[:0], which is always a can of worms) are:

1. You started checking the firing order assuming #1 cylinder was on the right (not left) side of the engine.

2. You set the firing order assuming the rotor rotation was clockwise, instead of the correct counter-clockwise.

3. You assumed the Ford cylinder numbering sequence (1-2-3-4 on one side of the engine; 5-6-7-8 on the other side) instead of the Studebaker cylinder-numbering sequence.

You implied that you did not remove the distributor from the engine and assuming that is true, it rules out having re-installed it incorrectly.

(Sorry about the remark RE: body men doing mechanical work. It's not really a can of worms; it's usually a flat-out disaster.[8]) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
      Wrong , wrong, wrong and right! I did not remove the dist. while setting the valves.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Did you pull the coil wire and it was shorting against something?

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Had the wires one hole off? Put the wires in the cap then put it on 180 out?

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Frank & Paul
            Nope, you won't believe it!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Adjusted the intakes to the exhaust spec and the exhaust to the intake spec

Comment

Since they are the same clearance spec, I assume you mean something else.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Out of gas or bad ground??

Comment

did you swap the coil wire with one of the plug wires??

Reviving an early Lark
                    sigpic
                    JohnP, driving & reviving
                    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Did you forget to remove the feeler gauge from an intake valve?

Comment

The top was down but the sun wasn't out. This happened because of the full moon last week- on an even numbered day- but you did the work on an odd numbered day. Seriously~ it happens out here in SoCal all the time!!! [:0] [B)] [xx(]
                        Either that or it was because you let the smoke out of one (or more) of the plug wires [?] [?] [?] Yeah, I may have made that last one up. [)]

StudeDave [8D]
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Jim; did you fail to push the spark plug boots on the Plug Wires back up after they pulled down on removal? If one or two jumped the gap or were connected you COULD get the backfire. [:0]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did you adjust valves in proper sequence?(each piston on compression with valves closed)

Comment

Coil contact button fell out of the dist cap?

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

Working...
                              X