Avanti goose chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti goose chase

Checked out a local 1970 Avanti II today. Described as 57,000 miles on a restoration done in the late 80's including new frame and hog troughs, $5200. Took one look under the car and noticed it needed it's third frame and hog troughs. Told the owner he might sell it to someone that was not familiar with that issue.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Usually they're offended, or think you're trying to scam them, or don't know what you're talking about. The ones that I feel sorry for are the ones that bought a car unaware of serious issues like that[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I could see the owners face drop when I got down on the ground, he knew the deal was off. He knew he was looking at 6K or better to fix it since he'd done it before, and it still would need paint.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

What are hog troughs. I see this frequently on SDC. 3rd frame ?? Photo please. Which Studes ?

BRAD

Comment

Well, it might be worth it to the unaware, or someone who knows how to do the work, and likes to do it. It would depend on how much the rest of the car impresses someone.

Sounds like the seller knew about the hog trough problem, and was hoping you didn't

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Brad--

"Hog troughs" are an Avanti/Avanti II thing--the metal structural members underpinning the sides of the otherwise-fibreglass body shell. (Someone else on here can doubtless outline it far better than that!) Haven't got a pic to show them, but there are drawings of "hog troughs" in major Stude parts-vendors' catalogues and also in some of the ads in TW.

S.

Comment

3rd frame, just meant that the owner had replaced the factory frame, making two, but it needed a third frame to replace the rusted second one.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

"hog troughs" or more accurately "torsion boxes" are a device to make a narrow frame work with a wider body saving the fab costs of making a wider frame. The Avanti is only one example of this. I remember working on a car in the '70s, do not remember what model but not a Studebaker. Mine are original and in great shape, but it appears that something in the Studebaker design/materials are abnormally prone to rust. There are aftermarket makers of original quality and stainless steel torsion boxes.

Terry, North Texas
                1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                1999 Toyota rice burner
                1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
                I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
                challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
                I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

I have a 1987 Avanti convertible. It was build on a Monte Carlo frame. Does it have hog troughs?

Comment

It you want an ear full about bad hog troughs, check out the mustang websites. Seems that when they put the mustang body on the falcon frame.... Even though it is unibody, they needed something to stiffen the frame hence torque boxes. They seem to rust out about as bad as the Avanti.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

quote:Originally posted by billmdonn

I have a 1987 Avanti convertible. It was build on a Monte Carlo frame. Does it have hog troughs?
                      I am pretty sure that it doesn't have them. I bought a 1987 Avanti new and don't remember it as having torque boxes ("hog troughs").

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This remeinds me of a Studebaker Avanti that was for sale in Florida. I had quite a telephone conversation with the owner, who was quite familiar with Studebakers. I went to look at the car. It looked nice, then I got down on the floor. It was gone underneath. It turned out that the guy moved, with the Avanti, from Ohio not too long before that.

I, like many others, have gone on many of these wild goose chases. Sometimes you can't believe that the car for sale in the driveway is the same car that you talked about on the telephone - there must be another car in the garage. Other times you discover a real gem and then people wonder how you find these good cars.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Didn't the K bodied cars have something like hog troughs to help with rigidity?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Didn't the K bodied cars have something like hog troughs to help with rigidity?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                            Yes, they had sheet steel torque boxes down each side (parallel to the frame and under the floor).

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                            X