Golden Hawk on Speed Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Hawk on Speed Channel

Tomorrow night speed is having a show ( at least in Ohio area) at 9pm called 101 cars you must drive. Supposed to have a Golden Hawk on the show. It will be repeated twice Tuesday. Thought some might like aheads up on the show! Enjoy! Randy

Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Well, now- that was a waste of my time~

I coulda' done better then that!!!

StudeDave [8D]
    San Diego, Ca.
    San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sorry , I work 2nd shift ,so have not seen it yet. Hoped I was guiding you to a show worth watching! Am real sorry if I directed you to a flop! Randy

Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Just watched it. The host is mostly being funny. He said, "I love this car, but then I like things that are different." A couple quotes:

"Stude had a thing for Hawks- SH, PH, FH, they might have even had a Chicken Hawk for all I know"... while flashing pics that I don't think were Hawks, including a 56 4dr. as a Flight Hawk[)]

"EVERYHING'S gold on this car... I know pimps that wouldn't drive this car!"

"Handling's a little sketchy, and the brakes... well..."

"Just a little carried away with the gold! We know it's the GH- we got that!"

Wasn't a bad segment, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

You know we all have our opinions of what should be said and not said about our cars (Studebakers). I just watched the segment this morning and while I may not agree with the comentator's verbage, i do appreciate the fact that the first car in the segment was a Studebaker and I'm proud that he chose the car. He's just now doing the Suoer Bird segment and his verbage is not ant =y better. I am just thankful he chose to expose what we have always known and that's that Studebaker did build some very nice cars.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

You know we all have our opinions of what should be said and not said about our cars (Studebakers). I just watched the segment this morning and while I may not agree with the comentator's verbage, i do appreciate the fact that the first car in the segment was a Studebaker and I'm proud that he chose the car. He's just now doing the Suoer Bird segment and his verbage is not ant =y better. I am just thankful he chose to expose what we have always known and that's that Studebaker did build some very nice cars.

Comment

The coverage might not have been as desired, but it was good coverage for Studebaker and mostly positive. Remember this is a comedian that didn't live through driving cars in the '50s and doesn't pretend to be a car expert. I think, like many, that he thinks that all Golden Hawks were gold in color. The car used in the piece is a very nice example in stock appearance. I think that we should be thankful that at least one Studebaker was picked among the 101 cars. It is included with cars like the Chrysler Turbine Car and the Delorean. The Golden Hawk was also the first of the 101 cars to be covered in the series.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I think, like may, that he thinks that all Golden Hawks were gold in color. Gary L.
                I got that impression as well. Bring on the any-color-but-gold Golden Hawks!!! [)]

StudeDave [8D]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just saw a repeat of the 101 cars to drive show and still am thankful for the Studebaker exposure we have received. I hope he shows it again today and tomorrow and the day after. The more exposure the more people will begin to believe there is hope for our orphins which we already know there is.

Comment

quote:Well, now- that was a waste of my time~
                    While any Studebaker exposure is better than none, I agree with Dave, "101" is really LAME! Calling the '57'GH the fastest car Studebaker ever built is just one of the many things he got wrong. Another was saying the '57GH would out-accelerate the '57 Corvette and Thunderbird. (The '56GH manual trans was quicker and faster than the '56 'Vette and T-bird, but they got faster in '57 and the GH didn't.) The rest was just inane chatter. I won't go there for the other 100.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Results from 1957 road test -

Comment

I taped the show and watched it yesterday morning. After reading the first posts, the show was much better than I was expecting. Actually, I thought he did a very good job. Yes, he was trying to be funny but I thought he did it in good taste. I don't get the impression from Jay Leno that he cares much for Studebakers but I got the impression that this guy really likes the car.

Comment

It's kind of strange to here all of the negatives because we got exposure for our cars. Yes, I've seen the show teice in the same day. No, I wasn't particularly happy with the language used but was pleased for the exposure. It's also funny to hear that Jay Leno is not a Studebaker fan as I know he has several in his collection including one from the JEM Museum sale in PA a few years back. It was a very nice 30's President Roadster.

Comment

While the content was lightweight, it was good to see all the video coverage.
                            I especially loved the Chrysler Turbine car segment, as I was lucky enough to know one of the test families that had one. I got to go for a ride in it for about 15 minutes. Even though I was relegated to the back seat, it was neat. My opinion of the turbine car? The car was small (especially in the back seat, and I was just a kid).
                            And it smelled like the airport. Too bad that was before Kodak Intamatic's, so I have no pic's...
                            But the memory is worth it alone...
                            That show was entertaining for those that don't have a clue about past history of cars..
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rodnutrandy

Tomorrow night speed is having a show ( at least in Ohio area) at 9pm called 101 cars you must drive. Supposed to have a Golden Hawk on the show. It will be repeated twice Tuesday. Thought some might like aheads up on the show! Enjoy! Randy
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I also taped and watched and thought it was a good show. Given the fact that a Studebaker was included in a list of "101 Cars You Must Drive" is in and of itself pretty significant, and the very FIRST one at that. As a Studebaker owner it made me proud. As Alonso said, many people watching the show don't even know what a Studebaker is, now they do. He also stated it was a great cruiser, which we already knew, but many others may not. At least he got to actually drive the Golden Hawk, some of the others he didn't. He was one of my favorites on the Last Comic Standing show and so I already enjoy his humor. I have set my DVR to record all new issues of the show, if for nothing else to see what else they add to the list.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X