Not a Studebaker Guy, But....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Studebaker Guy, But....

Brand new to this forum because I'm basically into British sports cars (1963 MGB). But, what looks to be an early to mid-40's Studebaker pickup is for sale nearby. This thing looks like it just spent the last 40 years in the woods. No interior, cab floor is gone, no idea what the frame is like though it seems to sit straight. I haven't really looked closely at it but since it's a Studebaker I thought it would be more interesting than your typical Ford or Chevy pickup.

I have no idea how readily accessible parts are for this thing so this is a basic inquiry as to value (looks to be like the guy should be happy to have someone take it off his lot) or restorability. I know aftermarket parts for MG's are readily available for just about anthing, including all sheet metal and mechanical parts. But what's the situation with Studebakers?

I'm not really in a position to take this on as a project but I do have this defective gene that always wants to bring an aging vehicle back to life!

Bob Scardamalia
    '63 MGB

Plenty of parts are available for most Studebakers (NOS, repopped, or used), but we'd have to lay eyes or see pix before making a final decision with you.
    At any rate, we'd love to have you join us and we'd love to help you out with any Studebaker project you chose!

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Plenty of parts are available for most Studebakers (NOS, repopped, or used), but we'd have to lay eyes or see pix before making a final decision with you.
      At any rate, we'd love to have you join us and we'd love to help you out with any Studebaker project you chose!

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Bob, Studebaker vendors are close behind Moss Motors in making parts to keep our cars running. The 40-42 Stude trucks were some of the nicest looking trucks of the period. How about some pics? I have 2 MGC's and an MGB + 5 Studes. They have a way of growing on you.

Comment

Bob, Studebaker vendors are close behind Moss Motors in making parts to keep our cars running. The 40-42 Stude trucks were some of the nicest looking trucks of the period. How about some pics? I have 2 MGC's and an MGB + 5 Studes. They have a way of growing on you.

Comment

Hopefully I did this right. Here are some pics of the truck...

Bob Scardamalia
            '63 MGB

Comment

Hopefully I did this right. Here are some pics of the truck...

Bob Scardamalia
              '63 MGB

Comment

Bob, that's an M5 pickup. There's lots of parts available - some repro'd, some NOS - to redo that thing, should you take a notion to.

For not much money, you could very well likely find a more solid example to start with. That said, this one COULD be brought back with money and effort.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, that's an M5 pickup. There's lots of parts available - some repro'd, some NOS - to redo that thing, should you take a notion to.

For not much money, you could very well likely find a more solid example to start with. That said, this one COULD be brought back with money and effort.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I understand that defective gene, but I think that one should be left right where it is - and finish melting into the ground. Even if it were given to me, I would be reluctant. Your seller likely wants money.

Similar enough http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-...QQcmdZViewItem Compare it to the one near you, factor in shipping, and watch to see where the auction ends

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                    Packrat junk collector
                    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

That's a great looking truck! Are you sure it needs restoring? I don't know if "defective Studebaker gene" is an oxymoron or not, but it is incurable, so go with it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I spent a lot of time (10 years), money and effort bringing my MG back from the grave. I'm not sure I'm inclined to jump into another project needing so much time, money, and effort! I think I'll pass. It would probably take twice the "buy it now" price on the ebay example to get it to comparable condition

Thanks for the knowledgable input. This forum seems to be as helpful to Studebaker nuts as the mgexperience.net forums are for MG nuts. This truck is about 25 miles SW of Albany, NY in case anyone is interested. Only about 5 miles from me so I can get more info if necessary.

Bob Scardamalia
                        '63 MGB

Comment

I spent a lot of time (10 years), money and effort bringing my MG back from the grave. I'm not sure I'm inclined to jump into another project needing so much time, money, and effort! I think I'll pass. It would probably take twice the "buy it now" price on the ebay example to get it to comparable condition

Thanks for the knowledgable input. This forum seems to be as helpful to Studebaker nuts as the mgexperience.net forums are for MG nuts. This truck is about 25 miles SW of Albany, NY in case anyone is interested. Only about 5 miles from me so I can get more info if necessary.

Bob Scardamalia
                          '63 MGB

Comment

Bob,
                            Take another look at that Stude truck and you will notice that the rear fenders interchange with the front. Ie. left front and rt rear etc. Just an interesting thing that Stude did to lower costs.

Comment

Bob,
                              Take another look at that Stude truck and you will notice that the rear fenders interchange with the front. Ie. left front and rt rear etc. Just an interesting thing that Stude did to lower costs.

Comment

Working...
                              X