59 Lark Auto Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Lark Auto Transmission

My Dan and replaced the head gasket and the starter on my lark which has a 170 engine. Before we changed the gasket and the starter the car was shifting fine. When I took the car for a test drive last night I was not shifting fine at all. As soon as I step on the gas it seems to want to shift into High gear, and when I put the gas to the floor it only will down shift into the middle gear. I noticed when I put the car in low it will drive fine (in Low gear). Can someone please help me. I have been trying to get my car on the road now for two months. Thank you

I am not very familiar with the Lark automatic setup, all my Studes are sticks. It sound to me like the shift sensor cable is out of adjustment. This could have happened when the head was removed. Someone else will have to go over the adjustment procedure with you. You do have a shop manual don't you?

Comment

Troy; in the center of the shift lever shaft on the left side of the Trans. case there is another smaller shaft coming out with a lever connected to the throttle pressure rod to the carb. linkage. You have disturbed that, disconnected it, or inserted the rod in the wrong lever hole so that you do not have enough throttle pressure to properly operate the trans. DO NOT DRIVE IT ANYMORE LIKE THIS!

The transmission is controlled by the amount of pressure you put on the gas pedal through that linkage rod, and it IS adjustable! You also may have disassembled it and messed up the adjustment. The Studebaker Shop Manual covers the adjustment procedure.

The Parts Catalogs and Shop manuals for the different years of Studebakers are available in Book form or CD ROM disc. from us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,
        You are not going to believe this. The reason I was having problems with the trans. was because I bolted the linkage plate to the wrong side of the starter motor. My uncle noticed that the plate did not look like it was in the right position, and of course he was right. My lark is my first Studebaker and I am learning a lot of the quirks of this car. It is fun. I am just happy I will be able to finally get to drive my car.

Thanks for the advice,
        Troy

Comment

That's good news Troy, glad you got that ironed out! [^]

You will find that many things on Studes. are not difficult...just misunderstood! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by TroyN

StudeRich,
          You are not going to believe this. The reason I was having problems with the trans. was because I bolted the linkage plate to the wrong side of the starter motor.hanks for the advice, Troy
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X