Starter again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter again

Got the front brakes on the 52 installed and tried to take it for a test drive. She wouldn't start. This is the second starter plus $100.oo to do nothing from a starter repair company. I removed the starter and there is oil where the starter bolts to the engine. If the oil is from a rear seal my buddy thinks that if we dry the oil on the bendix shaft that won't engage and get the car running on a daily basis the seal may dry and end this problem. If this needs to be replaced, can the seal be removed without removing the engine? Thank you.
    Joe

I take it you're asking about the engine rear seal? Yes, it can be removed without removing the engine. It's not a fun job, but it is do-able. Best to have a shop manual to guide you.
    As to oil on the starter, that should have no effect one way or the other. Does the starter SPIN or does it do nothing?

By the way, the rear main seal is a two-piece, rubber-lipped affair. Getting the engine running again won't cure the leak. Studes are notorious for leaking at the rear main seal and many folks (myself included) learn to live with a few drips!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Did you bech-test the starter? Get some jumper cables hooked to the battery, connect the ground securely on a clean place on the starter case, and touch the positive cable on the post the cable goes on. That'll either rule out the starter, or prove it faulty.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Also be aware that if you actuate the Bendix while testing the starter, you cannot manually retract it - it has to be on the car for the release mech to work. That's no big deal because it'll still bolt in, but I mention it because it caused a knot in my stomach when I first did it

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

If you DO "Bench Test" it, make darn sure the starter's held SECURELY! There's a LOT of torque there and it would flip off a bench or table and find it's way to your toes before you could avoid it! OUCH!!![xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs... How did you find out about the uncanny ability of a starter to find its way to your toes?????

sals54
            sals54

Comment

Biggs is right. When I "bench test" a starter I usually do it on the floor with one foot on it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Starter Problems.
                Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, the starter was bench tested and yes I started the car and drove it in front of my place till the brakes decided to crumble. Now, the starter was used and upon taking it apart I found that part #0606-38, called a plate has snapped probably due to age. My buddy put the new drive in the starter and now, nothing is taking place. It's going to a mechanic friend next. I have located a stude parts guy an hour from my home, but the starter #'s I give him don't match with anything he has. I'm thinking of taking the broken one to him and compare just to keep as a spare if we get the other one working. Confusing or what.

Joe

Comment

What's the number on that starter?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Joe, that's an illustration call-out number, not part number. All it does is reference the illustration to the page in the parts manual where the part number(s) can be found. There may be more than one part number applicable.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The part #521894 is the plate numbered 0606-38 for my model 12G. The description reads plate, bedix drive spring. Thanks.

Joe

Comment

Dunno if the starter to which you are referring is for Champion or Commander but you DO know that the Bendix for the '52 Commander is different from the previous years?

Could that be the prob?

John

Comment

The car is a 52 Champion not a Commander. Sorry for the confusion.
                          Joe

Comment

Thanx, showbiz--I have a 289 that I put a starter on that has the bendix engaged, and I've been worrying about firing it up.

Comment

Working...
                            X