Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And we think our stuff is getting expensive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And we think our stuff is getting expensive??

Yikes.

'53 Commander
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Considering that's a complete set of parts, not just the heads - fair market price IMO.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote: I guess I shouldn't cringe at the cost of an original AM-FM radio now, eh?
      Why bother doing that? You don't need a radio with a 289 and 4 speed. Just get loud mufflers and roll the windows down. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I guess I shouldn't cringe at the cost of an original AM-FM radio now, eh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

$22K - wow

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
          1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

They really want to Go Fast, do they? LOL. I could see them selling for $3,500 or so. Most people you meet have no idea what a "flathead" Ford V8 is, and could not care less. So, who are they trying to impress? It just goes to show that some people have too much money, and probably did not work very hard to get it in the first place....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by torker

They really want to Go Fast, do they? LOL. I could see them selling for $3,500 or so. Most people you meet have no idea what a "flathead" Ford V8 is, and could not care less. So, who are they trying to impress? It just goes to show that some people have too much money, and probably did not work very hard to get it in the first place....
              These heads are around if you know where to look, but these particular parts are probably worth a lot more than the average ones lying around in people's garages and the like. I mean these are brand new, never been used an included are the other parts that go with them as well. I know they are expensive, but they seem well worth it to me. In all reality they probably should go in a museum. Looks like something Bill Smith of Speedway Motors would have lying around.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Price seems about right to me. This is probably the ONLY complete NOS setup in the world.

For about half this price you can get a reproduction set:

If you're into hotrods at ALL, there is NOTHING more B!TCH'N than an Ardun V8. I saw one of the repros in a duece roadster a couple of years ago and my heart stopped.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

These heads are around if you know where to look, but these particular parts are probably worth a lot more than the average ones lying around in people's garages and the like. I mean these are brand new, never been used an included are the other parts that go with them as well. I know they are expensive, but they seem well worth it to me. In all reality they probably should go in a museum. Looks like something Bill Smith of Speedway Motors would have lying around.
                  Really? Just lying around? Where should I be looking then? [)][)]

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
                  -------------------
                  Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for getting me all riled up. The deal is EBay Auction Fever + Someone with too much money who figures they only live once. Or else, a sham auction with shill bidders. .Thing is, if that setup has been just "lyin around" for 70 years, and only 275 sets were made in the first place, evidently noone wanted them then, even when the flattie was in its' heyday! So, Why should they want them so badly, now? They are not a 426 Hemi Chrysler! BTW, I like antique motors. But keep it in perspective. For instance, I can kinda see why 409 Chexies are a collectors' dream, now, even though the engine actually failed to meet the designers' expectations. But, they don't sell for that kind of money, and they shouldn't.

Comment

Obviously Ardun heads are not literally lying around everywhere. But they are available. I have seen them at Autofair and places like that. There are at least two guys running them at Maxton and at Bonneville their also are a few folks running them. Still in my opinion the ones in question on this thread are indeed worth the money being asked.

Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

they don't sell for that kind of money, and they shouldn't.
                        Perhaps they "shouldn't"...but they do.

Who would have thunk a ceapo plastic '61 Lark tail light that most likely sold for under $2 new would go for $200 NOS? How about a NOS grill surround for a '53? How about an R3 or R4 motor still in the crate (one sold a few years ago for MORE than this Ardun set up).

This set up is VERY rare and desirable. The resulting price is what happens in a free market economy. YOU wouldn't pay that money (and neither would I...or could I), but that doesn't mean it isn't worth what it sold for.

Yea, the guy who bought it probably has more money than I do...I don't fault him for that. And he may think "he only lives once"...but that's really not a bad philosophy . He wanted it. He had the money. He bought it. I've done the same...just not with $22,000 Ardun heads [^].

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Only 275 sets were made in the first place, evidently noone wanted them then, even when the flattie was in its' heyday! So, Why should they want them so badly, now? They are not a 426 Hemi Chrysler!
                          Uh . . .OK.

This set up is FAR more rare and exotic than ANY 426 Hemi. It's not about horsepower with stuff like this . . .

Comment

I am not rich by any means but if im building a period correct hotrod these Ardun parts are a bargain for thier rarity and I would buy them in a heartbeat !!!!! I' building what will be a 95% NOS 60 Lark hardtop some people may question why Im spending so much for every NOS part I can find for it Thats just how I do a car.
                            Depends on what a person wants/desires!
                            Jerry

59 Lark VI Hardtop
                            60 Lark VIII Hardtop
                            63 Lark Custom 2D R1 4speed
                            51 3/4 Ton truck 9 foot bed
                            57 Transtar 1 ton 5Sp/od
                            62 Transtar 289 1 Ton
                            64 wagon
                            57 Silver Hawk {soon}future Bonneville car 200 mph

Comment

I posted this link on CarjunkieTV forum and here are their responses. Interesting how much this set up cost even 30 years ago.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X