Truck Jack Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Jack Thieves

I posted this message over on the truck site and have come up so far with no clues.

Nobody seems to be able to show me a pic of a 57 era factory jack and lug wrench. The only thing I've found is a wrench to unbolt and take the spare tire out from underneath the truck.

Can anybody here shed some light on the subject?

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
    ~Nitram~
    57 Transtar

Jay,

I have a big truck lug wrench for my E-40, but not one for the smaller trucks.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Jay,

I have a jack for my 53' 2R5 and a tire iron, both look original as the truck was 100% complete and unmolested. I don't know however if this is an original jack. I will try to post a picture of it tonght and we'll let others determine it's originality. Maybe someone will be able to verify after seeing it.

John
      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Studebaker Truck jacks were a very common (at the time) "screw jack" it looked like a hydraulic bottle jack, but was a mechanical screw type like a house jack, the long folding handle was used to turn a screwdriver slot shaped unit that raised and lowered it.

It was used to raise either the front or rear axle, to raise the truck.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jacks are listed in section 1812-TOOLS page 408 in the 7E-8E parts book. Section 1812 is labeled SHOCK ABSORBERS and BUMPERS
          Same with tire tools.
          I would venture they were not included with the truck.
          Remember this is back when a spare tire/wheel cost extra.
          Guess in the old days, if you had a truck, you had you own tools.
          Usually a aftermarket bottle jack and 4 way .
          I have a few Stude trucks of all sizes and none had jacks or tire tools.

First truck I ever saw with a OEM jack or tire iron was my Dads new 1977 F100. It didnt come with a spare tire/wheel either as Dad wouldnt take it back and exchange the rear bumper for the spare tire.

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28

59 Lark
          etc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Studebaker Truck jacks were a very common (at the time) "screw jack" it looked like a hydraulic bottle jack, but was a mechanical screw type like a house jack,
            Sure would love to see a pic of one. Better yet if someone has one to sell me, along with a lug wrench, that would be great.
            Here's the wrench to take the spare tire down from the carrier.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
            ~Nitram~
            57 Transtar

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60
              I would venture they were not included with the truck.
              Remember this is back when a spare tire/wheel cost extra.
              Guess in the old days, if you had a truck, you had you own tools.
              Usually a aftermarket bottle jack and 4 way .
              Here's what my 57-61 Manual series 3E-4E-5E-6E has to say.

And then if you check note 3 as they say...

~Nitram~
              57 Transtar

Comment

Here is a picture of the big truck tire iron. The far end of the handle is tapered, probably to allow you to break the bead.

Comment

Since this is not an accessory, and is a REQUIRED item, the qty. per truck called out in the parts book of (1) per truck, means they ALL had them!

Both my Dad's 1952 2R16 grain bed Truck and the '60 Champ he bought new had them. I guess these were just too handy to have around the shop for anyone to let it go when selling these trucks!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lennart...
                    -63 Avanti R1
                    -61 Champ 6E5 122"
                    -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112"
                    -58 Golden Hawk
                    Lennart...
                    -63 Avanti R1
                    -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
                    -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
                    -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Since this is not an accessory, and is a REQUIRED item, the qty. per truck called out in the parts book of (1) per truck, means they ALL had them!
                      I guess these were just too handy to have around the shop for anyone to let it go when selling these trucks!
                      If you look at the tools parts pages I posted above not all trucks had them. Take the 3E7 for example. It says there was
                      1 JACK w/HANDLE-std.-note 3
                      Note 3: used on models before car serials E7-8961
                      The way I read it if your serial number was after that number, you didn't get a jack.
                      So not all trucks had a jack in them from the factory? Wonder what the reason was for this. Cost cutting in mid production? The other notes have items used on and after a certain serial number.

The (WRENCH, wheel socket) on the other hand was issued on [u]all</u> trucks.
                      If all trucks had them where did they go? Had to be those dad-burn union guys steal'en 'em as they went out the door. [}]

~Nitram~
                      57 Transtar

Comment

Nitram; here is the answer to your question, by the way, very good reference, having the part callout AND the notes scanned from the Parts Catalog. That's the ONLY way to resolve these issues!

The 3E5,7,10,11,& 12's get a 679752 Jack WITH included handle, BEFORE Serial #'s in Note 3.

The 3E1,2,3,5,6 & 7 get the 1689361 Jack, on and AFTER Serial #'s in note 3 per note 4.

The 3E10,11 & 12's get the 1689362 Jack, on and AFTER Serial #'s in note 3 Both require the 513201 WRENCH to use the other end as a handle, because the jack has none! [:0]

All 4E and on Trucks in that weight range also get the NEW configuration handle-less Jack.

Of course the REALLY BIG trucks get still different ones, and the few trucks (models noted) that actually were ordered with a factory REAR bumper, use a special bumper jack.

Which is a long way to say, as I said before, ALL TRUCKS GET A JACK! It is kind of a safety requirement in Studebaker's eyes anyway, to have proper tools to handle roadside tire problems, and it is YOUR problem if you are too cheap to order a spare tire. They all came with the spare WHEEL! The truck is equipped to change it anyway! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 60 Champ has the spare tire wrench, bottle jack, and jack crank. I don't remember if it had the tire iron or not, but it doubt it did. I always figured the bottle jack was out of another truck but maybe it is original.

Nick

Comment

Anyone looking for a big truck wrench, there is one now on e-Bay.

Comment

Working...
                            X