This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one you miss the most

What's your biggest regret as far as selling or missing out on a Stude? I know there's several stories out there. [8D]

I don't have any regrets... yet.

My grandad's is probably when he sold his '48 Champ ragtop for $15.00 in the middle '60's. His dad paid $35.00 for it for his 16th birthday. My grandad thought that the $150.00 for new tires, a top, and a starter was too much for a $35.00 Studebaker. But, it started a new way of life, in which he's had Studes ever since.

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/ (always under construction)

I only regret totalling my Hawk, thats it. But in the years that I
    have driven Studebakers, I hear a LOT of stories from people who come
    up to me to talk. They usually tell me of some 'weird' supercharged
    Hawk that they had, or a "shovel nose", and then ask me if they are
    worth anything now.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I only regret totalling my Hawk, thats it. But in the years that I
      worth anything now.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote: I only regret totalling my Hawk, thats it. But in the years that I
        worth anything now.
        I hear stories all the time about 'Turbo-charged Studebakers'.

Of course, a friend of mine in Florida has a '59 Silver Hawk and gets so annoyed by all the constant remarks like that, so he tells people that his car is a prototype, one-off 'Platinum Hawk'. [:0]

Comment

quote: I only regret totalling my Hawk, thats it. But in the years that I
          worth anything now.
          I hear stories all the time about 'Turbo-charged Studebakers'.

Of course, a friend of mine in Florida has a '59 Silver Hawk and gets so annoyed by all the constant remarks like that, so he tells people that his car is a prototype, one-off 'Platinum Hawk'. [:0]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

I never have regrets.I never get attached to anything except the wife and friends.Cars can come and go.
            Almost totally agree...there ARE those grandkids

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

I never have regrets.I never get attached to anything except the wife and friends.Cars can come and go.
              Almost totally agree...there ARE those grandkids

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Around 1957, I owned a '51 Mercury 4 dr. with overdrive. My next younger brother owned a '51 Studebaker Commander, red with red leather under a canvas top. It had overdrive also. He let me drive it several times in which I blew away several flathead F**d V8's, something my Merc could not do.

He got a new job at the local DuPont plant and decided he wanted a nice '56 Ch**y convertible and he offered me his Studebaker. Dummy me, I decided a '55 Plymouth Savoy V8 with overdrive should be mine. I passed on the Studebaker. Should have bought it and put it in our barn.

My brother traded the Studebaker on the '56 Che**y and we never saw it again.

Frank Drumheller
                    Louisa, VA
                    '60 Lark Regal VI 4 dr.
                    '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck
                    a lot full of Studebakers that others let get away

Comment

Around 1957, I owned a '51 Mercury 4 dr. with overdrive. My next younger brother owned a '51 Studebaker Commander, red with red leather under a canvas top. It had overdrive also. He let me drive it several times in which I blew away several flathead F**d V8's, something my Merc could not do.

He got a new job at the local DuPont plant and decided he wanted a nice '56 Ch**y convertible and he offered me his Studebaker. Dummy me, I decided a '55 Plymouth Savoy V8 with overdrive should be mine. I passed on the Studebaker. Should have bought it and put it in our barn.

My brother traded the Studebaker on the '56 Che**y and we never saw it again.

Frank Drumheller
                      Louisa, VA
                      '60 Lark Regal VI 4 dr.
                      '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck
                      a lot full of Studebakers that others let get away

Comment

Good question - especially since I've had so many! The 55 President State that I had in the 70s was a really nice car. I might have had it longer if I hadn't had this character who was CONSTANTLY buggin' me to sell it to him. I finally did.

Then there was the '58 Packard wagon. A divorce led to it's dismissal and I kept my 3/4ton Champ as my main means of travel.
                        I was "in love" with every one that passed thru my hands, but I've only ever been able to manage the upkeep on just a few at any one time.[:I] I guess I'd never make a good mormon![}]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good question - especially since I've had so many! The 55 President State that I had in the 70s was a really nice car. I might have had it longer if I hadn't had this character who was CONSTANTLY buggin' me to sell it to him. I finally did.

Then there was the '58 Packard wagon. A divorce led to it's dismissal and I kept my 3/4ton Champ as my main means of travel.
                          I was "in love" with every one that passed thru my hands, but I've only ever been able to manage the upkeep on just a few at any one time.[:I] I guess I'd never make a good mormon![}]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Growing up in NW Pennsylvania, I always admired this clean, Strato Blue (the dark blue) '64 Daytona Hardtop I saw around town for years. I never spoke to the owner but figured it most likely had been purchased at our local dealer, Carl E. Filer Co., which I remembered slightly (being born in '58).

I found my '63 Daytona in the May '88 TW and promptly bought it. In the April '90 TW was an ad, with photo, for the '64 Daytona mentioned above. I never had any idea the owner even belonged to SDC. By that time, I lived about an hour-and-a-half's drive away. The ad mentioned that the car was one-owner, had 55K miles, and was for sale for $2,500.

Although I couldn't justify a second Stude so soon after my first, I did call the owner and spoke for a while. I told him I always had admired the car around town. He said he couldn't get any takers on the car around town, and that he had contacted both the Stude Museum and Henry Ford Museum and neither wanted the car. He said from the TW ad, he had received 33 calls from around the country, and the first fellow who came to look at the car, who was from Wisconsin, bought it and drove it home.

Liking '64's a lot, I wished I would have gotten this car. It was indeed bought new at our local dealer (I would like a car from there), and was a Canadian-built car and was sold to the Wisconsin buyer with all the new car paperwork including order form and window sticker, plus all service receipts since new (many from the Stude dealer). I later contacted the new owner and he sent me photocopies of many of the invoices from the local dealer, which I have kept as souvenirs. The original owner even bought Haze Cream from the Stude dealer and the Parts Dept. invoice was among those I got a copy of and had gone with the car to the new owner.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Growing up in NW Pennsylvania, I always admired this clean, Strato Blue (the dark blue) '64 Daytona Hardtop I saw around town for years. I never spoke to the owner but figured it most likely had been purchased at our local dealer, Carl E. Filer Co., which I remembered slightly (being born in '58).

I found my '63 Daytona in the May '88 TW and promptly bought it. In the April '90 TW was an ad, with photo, for the '64 Daytona mentioned above. I never had any idea the owner even belonged to SDC. By that time, I lived about an hour-and-a-half's drive away. The ad mentioned that the car was one-owner, had 55K miles, and was for sale for $2,500.

Although I couldn't justify a second Stude so soon after my first, I did call the owner and spoke for a while. I told him I always had admired the car around town. He said he couldn't get any takers on the car around town, and that he had contacted both the Stude Museum and Henry Ford Museum and neither wanted the car. He said from the TW ad, he had received 33 calls from around the country, and the first fellow who came to look at the car, who was from Wisconsin, bought it and drove it home.

Liking '64's a lot, I wished I would have gotten this car. It was indeed bought new at our local dealer (I would like a car from there), and was a Canadian-built car and was sold to the Wisconsin buyer with all the new car paperwork including order form and window sticker, plus all service receipts since new (many from the Stude dealer). I later contacted the new owner and he sent me photocopies of many of the invoices from the local dealer, which I have kept as souvenirs. The original owner even bought Haze Cream from the Stude dealer and the Parts Dept. invoice was among those I got a copy of and had gone with the car to the new owner.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X