Studebaker's 60 year employee call for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker's 60 year employee call for help

I am attempting to complete my collection of Studebaker employee service anniversary pins. I have all thru 55 years (note 50 and 55 year above). Each anniversary featured a different jewel starting with a pearl at 25 year and adding each 5 years until there were two rubies and a diamond in the 50. My 55 does not have any jewels. These pins were ordered from Bastian Brothers in NY and the jewels were set by local jewelers in South Bend when a person reached the service milestone. I am guessing the 55 year should have had a ruby and 2 diamonds. Noting the article above we do know there was one 60 year pin awarded to Bill Schwartz in 1949 and I need this one to fill out my collection.

So, where do you play a part? I have searched for years to find the kin of Mr. Schwartz and recently located a great grandchild who told me he was buried with the pin on his lapel. I have found the site of the internment and now I need your help. I will bring the shovels and flashlights and figure to need three hearty well conditioned athletic types to assist. If we start around midnight I figure we can be finished and on the road with the treasure by around 3:30 a.m. There are few police patrolling the South Bend cemeteries and in any event the penalty for this is minor it being classified as a Class 3 Misdemeanor. Slight risk for major gain. I will go your bail in the event (slight as it is) that we get caught. The salary is negotiable and dependent upon the actual amount of work performed. Applicants can send resumes to my address. All information will be held strictly confidential.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Can I take care of your '40 President and a Coupe Express? You know, when you go to prison?

[)]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You might have to settle for a photo of the tombstone and a letter of provenance from the great-grandchild.

Your perseverance only reinforces what we already knew.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
        So, where do you play a part? I have searched for years to find the kin of Mr. Schwartz and recently located a great grandchild who told me he was buried with the pin on his [u]label</u>.
        Dick,

Would we have to dig the grave in order to get to his [u]label</u>? Just thought I would pose the question before Bob Palma did.

Decimal Dude (wondering if five really will get me ten)

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I was all over that, too. I figured the label was on his bumper and much easier to get! Too slow for you guys..

Comment

Shovels? Flashlights? Naw, I can operate any backhoe, and I'm sure there has to be one on site. We can be in and out in no time.

George
            George

Comment

Poor Mr. Schwartz (if you guys go through with this). He should have retired after 59 years - then he could rest in peace. [8D]

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
              Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Gee Dick... is this the payback for you doing up the window decal up for me?? [}][:0]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Dick, cannot believe you have'nt a 60 year redball in your collection. Fly me to South Bend & put me up at the Marriott & I'll help with the dig free of labour charge. Noted Harold Vance in the photo. Now, I do have his exclusive copy of " A Salute to Studebaker & Studebaker Dealers throughout the World ".

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                  MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

Dick, I'm ready to help you. Just call and I'll be there as long as you promise to display the entire collection at Lancaster in September.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

While I'm sure that Mr. Schwartz was a firm believer in "giving more than he promised"...this is probably taking things a bit too far.

I guess he proved the old adage wrong. You can take it with you.

Dan
                      52 hardtop

Comment

Best laugh I've had all day, Richard!
                        Ever seen the movie 'Mr. Sardonicus'? 1961 vintage, I think.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Richard: Save your time. We dug that one up several years ago, and, like all Studebaker metal, it was all rusted. BUT...it is in our collection anyway. Mr. Schwartz asked if we would say hello to you, if you ever came up with the same idea. What took you so long???

toyman

Comment

Are you sure that no one else reached 60 years? It just states that he is "...the oldest active employee in years of service." There may have been others before or after him that reached 60 years.

Just last month, a company owned by a friend of mine, honored a 62 year employee of the company. He started there at age 18 and is still a regular employee at 80.

There may be another answer to your dilemma. These pins were not personalized when manufactured. I find it hard to believe that Studebaker would place an order for one pin. Studebaker probably ordered at least five or ten at one time and kept them in stock. It might be easier to find the remaining stock of 60 year pins.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Of course, another option might be to have one made up in the original style by a jeweller.

Not too many people will want to verify that this counterfeit pin is, in fact, THE real pin. (except for some loonies that frequent this site and have already agreed to the join you in this mad quest.)

Remember too, that for a pittance, readers' silence may be bought and no one will ever know that you forged a duplicate! (What do we need boys - about $50 each?)

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X