Packard Hawk Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Tire Size

Haing converted two of my cars to radial tires, I am convinced the better handling has to do with the radial tire.

I used 195 75R15 on one, 205 75R15 on another. The 205s were very expensive wide whites. They would not allow the fender skirts to go back on to my 1955 Commander Coupe, and they are really hard to clean.

What would be the correct size be for a Packard Hawk? (14"). How wide should the whitewalls be? (I am not sure if the present tires are correct, but they need replacing)

I plan to buy a cheaper blackwall, and put on some special white whitewall paint I acquired from Iceland. (go ahead, google it!)

I will show you know the results when done on Buck, my 58 PH.

Paul

8.00-14 is the correct size tire for a Packard Hawk.
    The white wall is medium wide and starts at the rim. It should not be the very wide whitewall that was used on earlier years. I do not remember the exact correct width. Maybe the Packard Hawk site has the answer.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A 2 1/2 inch whitewall will come closest to the original. I would use a 205 75R 14 inch tire if using the original rims. The wheels on the Packard Hawk are a 14X5.50 wheel. A little wider than most Studebaker autos. The 205 will result in the speedometer being off a little. But get a GPS receiver from someone and check for correct readings. You will likely find that the speedometer will read low with the 205's. Check your wheels over carefully and if any problems are apparent, get new ones. I have been running the original wheels for about ten years without a problem. Matter of fact the only wheel failure I have had for years was a new replacement wheel. But failures do happen. And are more likely in an old wheel made before radial tires were the norm. Also you might want to consider blackwalls. The whitewalls were an option even on Packard Hawks.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X